Do you remember when hubs purchased 50 pounds of potatoes? Well, if you don’t, it’s okay, welcome to my Carbohydrate Dream World!! Today I am not using potatoes, no, I am using zucchini to make this wonderful side dish called Zucchini Fritter, or some of you may call it a zucchini pancake. It is a light and delicious side dish or main course, add a dollop of sour cream and you have a treat! Nettie
2 cups zucchini, grated, unpeeled
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
vegetable oil, for frying
1.Mix all ingredients in a bowl thoroughly.
2.Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry like you would any other pancake on both sides.
3.Remove from pan to drain and serve with sour cream.
Recipe adapted from Food.com
I have been making this recipe from my Mom’s recipe’s since I can remember. As the bread is baking, memories come flooding back from childhood, skating up and down the drive way, picking avocados from our tree. Always having loads of zucchini and tomatoes in the summer. Since we are to have what they say is the last snow fall before spring, I dream of summer. This is as close as I can get to summer with this perfectly moist, delicious Zucchini Bread. Makes two loaves.
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups grated fresh zucchini (unpeeled)
1 cup Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease two 5 by 9 inch loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, soda and salt.
4. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture.
5. Fold in zucchini to batter.
6. Fold in the nuts if using.
7. Divide the batter equally between the loaf pans. Bake for 80 minutes (check for done-ness at 70 minutes) or until a wooden pick inserted in to the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool thoroughly.
Yield: Makes 2 loaves.