Easy Tabbouleh- One of my summer college jobs was a waitress at a wonderful Middle Eastern Restaurant. I also helped prepare appetizers and entrees and dessert. One of my favorite’s is the appetizer Tabbouleh.It is made with Bulgar wheat, tomatoes, cucumber and fresh mint. It can be a salad too, just add feta and Greek olives. Serve with pita or Naan bread, grilled. It is fresh, filling and packed with incredible flavor. This is great made ahead as a snack or a mini – meal that you can enjoy all weekend. The flavors keep getting better every day- if it lasts that long!
Fresh tomatoes, mint, garlic, cucumbers
Beautiful Bulgar- everything is beautiful- in it’s own way!
Seed the cucumber, perfectly clean like a cucumber boat.. Another great idea, get another cucumber and use that to serve Tabbouleh in!
Fresh mint really adds a punch of flavor. Plus fresh garlic. No colds this Fall!
I love mint. Take a piece and chew on it. Put some in ice water, gets rid of depression….
Squeeze the juice of half a lemon. Love my antique fruit juicer that my brother in law gave me.
- 1 cup Bulgar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 garlic cloves peeled
- 5 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 medium tomatoes or 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 medium cucumber seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons mint chopped
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Place Bulgar in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- . Meanwhile, place garlic on a double thickness of heavy duty foil. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. Wrap foil around garlic, Bake at 425 F for 15-20 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Drain Bulgar well, transfer to a large serving bowl. Stir in tomatoes, cucumber, onion and mint. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl and mash. Whisk in lemon juice, salt, pepper and remaining oil. .
- Toss to Coat..