Rhubarb Bars sounded funny, say it three times fast or slowly! So I added the word pie, sure, that sounds better! Rhubarb Pie Bars! These sweet, tart, buttery crust rhubarb pie bars are a special treat for me. I look forward to rhubarb season in Maine all year. My rhubarb plants are just starting off this spring, but my neighbor has a huge plant~ I asked him if I could possibly have a couple stalks? Sure thing! He filled up my beach bag with the colorful stalks and off I went to bake up a special dessert!
I walked home and set the oven and put the ingredients together for this colorful pie bar. The rhubarb stalks are edible, but the leaves are poisonous. Discard them in your compost pile. Chop up the stalks like you would a celery stalk. Set aside.
Get the ingredients ready for the crust.
Cut the butter in with the flour and powdered sugar with two knives or with a pastry cutter.
Grease a 9 x 13 pan with Baking Spray.
Bake crust for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Mix filling, gently fold in rhubarb
While the crust is baking, get the filling ingredients ready. Pour over hot crust. Lower the oven temperature.
Lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees F, bake in oven for 35 minutes or until filling is set and no longer jiggily.
Let cool for 10-15 minutes, bars will be set. Serve with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream or a Dollop of Freshly Whipped Cream.
- 1½ cups flour
- ¾ cup cold butter
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1¾ cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 cups rhubarb, chopped
- Whisk flour and powdered sugar in a bowl. Cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter or two knives until it resembles coarse peas.
- Spray baking spray over a 9 x 13 inch glass casserole dish.
- Pour crust ingredients in pan, pat down with fingers.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until corners are golden brown.
- Take out of oven.
- Combine filling ingredients, fold in rhubarb. Pour over hot crust.
- Place in oven, lower temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Bake for another 35 minutes, or until filling is set and no longer jiggily
- Cool for 15 minutes. Slice into bars.