|Diced Chicken and Portabella mushrooms.|
|Saute onions and carrots in EVOO.|
|Cut shortening with flour.|
|Place 1 cup of frozen peas in glass measuring cup, heat for 30 seconds- 1 minute until defrosted. pour over chicken and gravy.|
|Bake pie until biscuits are golden brown and pie is bubbly.|
Chicken Pot Pie
- 6 tbs butter
- 6 tbs flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups diced, cooked chicken
- 2 large carrots, diced and cooked
- 1/2 cup diced Portabella Mushrooms
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Drop Biscuits ( Baking Powder Biscuits)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add flour gradually and cook for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add chicken broth and milk or cream. Stir until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, carrots and peas to chicken broth mixture. Combine thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into a deep-dish pie plate or casserole. Place drop biscuits over top of chicken mixture.
- Bake pie for 25-30 minutes, until top is crusty and brown.
yield: 16 Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup milk
- Put the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl.
- Cut the shortening into the flour with two knives or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the milk all at once and stir just until the dough forms a ball around the fork.
- Using two teaspoons, place a heaping spoonful on the chicken and vegetable mixture, use other spoon to scrape off dough.
- Leave a bit of space between biscuits.
Recipe adapted from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook.