Chili should be full of beans and beef with lots of onions. Then it should be covered in cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped onions and some avocado, just thought I would let you in on one of my secrets!
The weather really started to cool down, so I thought a Big Pot O’ Chili would be wonderful with home made cornbread piping hot out of the oven….. sounds good huh???
I had seen The Pioneer Woman make her famous chili and had to give it a try, we all loved it. Perfect amount of spice, but you can always lick it up a notch with a couple drops of Cholula like I do.
Don’t forget all of the toppings! Great for parties, just put it all in a crockpot on low, let your guests enjoy!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- I added one whole onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup masa harina (corn flour, found in the Mexican food section of many supermarkets)
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded Cheddar, for serving
- Sour Cream, for serving
- Avocado, for serving
- Chopped onions, for serving
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Place the ground beef in a large pot and throw in the onion and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until browned.
- Drain off the excess fat, and then pour in the tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne. Stir together well, cover, and then reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If the mixture becomes overly dry, add 1/2 cup water at a time as needed.
- After an hour, place the masa harina in a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup water and stir together with a fork. Dump the masa mixture into the chili. Stir together well, and then taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Add more masa paste and /or water to get the chili to your preferred consistency, or to add more corn flavor.
- Add the beans and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with shredded Cheddar cheese, chopped onions, sour cream, tortilla chips and lime wedges. If you prefer a spicy chili add a couple drops of Cholula Chipotle Sauce.
- Also perfect served with home made cornbread.