I am on such a blueberry kick, yes this happens in August, I buy quarts of fresh Maine Blueberries from my local farmer. I love this, there is a box where you place the money that you are paying for the fresh produce, it’s based on the honesty policy. I just bought three quarts, yeah I did, because I could. Blueberry recipes swirling through my mind…
I had to make these, not just because my family can eat a dozen muffins in a day, but because I have been wanting to try one of my favorite baker’s recipe. Joy The Baker is her name, I have tested about 12 of her recipes, they are all wonderful. This is the latest. Brown butter makes the flavor amazing. Get yourself some blueberries and give it a try, you and your kids will be so happy you did!
The Best Blueberry Muffin Ever!
- 7 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- For the Topping
- 3 Tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Put a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin pan with paper or foil liners, I sprayed my muffin pans with Pam and didn't use a liner.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Keep an eye on the butter. Melt and cook down the butter until little brown bits appear in the pan. The crackling will subside and butter will begin to brown fairly quickly after that. Keep a close eye. Remove from heat.
- Whisk milk, egg, yolk and vanilla until combined. Add the brown butter and stir to combine.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl Add milk and butter mixture all at one and stir gently to combine. Gently but thoroughly fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter among muffin cups and spread evenly.
- To make the topping combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the batter in the cups.
- Bake until golden and crisp and a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes then remove from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I doubled the recipe and made 12 jumbo Blueberry Muffins!