Where has the summer gone? It was winter forever and then a crazy spring of rain, then a really hot summer, now August with the perfect Maine summer days that you don’t want to end. I just want those lazy summer days never to end.
My perfect morning is a cool breeze flowing through the kitchen, Pandora playing Etta James, and a Crumb Cake in the oven, like it’s no trouble at all, sit down and have a coffee and a piece of coffee cake perfect kind of morning.
Make all my mornings like this, life is perfect.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup light-brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Place rack in center of oven, and preheat oven to 325°F Lightly brush a 9-by-12½-inch baking pan with canola oil, dust with flour, and tap to remove excess. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1½ cups flour, the granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, canola oil, and vanilla.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into egg mixture.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining 2½ cups flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Pour melted butter over flour mixture, and toss with a rubber spatula until large crumbs form.
- Top batter evenly with crumb topping.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- Turn the pan once during baking.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.
- Using a serrated knife or bench scraper, cut into 3-inch squares, and serve. Note: This cake can be stored, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
If you think this sounds yummy, I’d sure ♥ it if you’d click to pin it, tweet it, stumble it, or share it on Facebook to help spread the word – thanks!
Please remember to SHARE on FACEBOOK
and PIN IT!
Nettie is a wife and mother who is passionate about cooking and baking… especially when easy meals are involved! With 5 children, Nettie insists that all meals, snacks, and desserts come together quickly! You will find a wide variety of easy yet scrumptious recipes on her very popular website Moore or Less Cooking FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOOGLE+ | PINTEREST | BLOGLOVIN |INSTAGRAM|