It’s blueberry Season and Maine blueberries are so amazing. I have five quarts, so I have been searching through Pinterest for the perfect recipe. I wanted a Blueberry Sour Cream Bundt Cake and this is what I chose. This is a wonderfully light and fluffy cake with lemon zest and a sour cream lemon glaze. It turned out perfect! I asked hubs to critique it. Well he is no help, this is what he said, ” MMM not as many poppy seeds as the last one.” WHAT???? I think my voice raised a bit, I said, “There aren’t any poppy seeds in this cake or the last cake I baked, you are off your rocker…” HMMPPPHH, have to find a new critic!!!
Well I did have six of my daughter’s friends try a piece, they loved it.
P.S. There aren’t any poppy seeds in this cake or any other cakes that I have baked ever…. yet!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks) – room temperature
- 3 large eggs – room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk (scant 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries – mixed with 1 tablespoon of flour.
- *This will keep the berries from sinking to bottom of pan while baking.
- *Frozen berries can also be used.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a bundt pan.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together.
- With an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Continue beating, adding eggs, one at a time.
- Add vanilla and zest, mix well.
- Gradually add in dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk, ending with flour mixture.
- Turn off mixer and gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into bundt pan.
- Bake until a cake tester or wooden skewer comes out clean about 50 minutes to an hour.
- Cool cake on rack for 15 minutes.
- Turn cake onto cake plate and cool completely before frosting.
- Sour Cream Icing
- 4 tablespoons butter – softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 2/4 cups confectioners sugar
- Using a hand mixer, cream butter, sour cream, vanilla and lemon juice until smooth.
- Gradually add confectioners sugar.
- Add salt and mix until smooth.
- Pour icing around top of cake allowing it to run down the sides.