Friends send me recipes like you can not even imagine. I think I need a staff like Martha Stewart, then I may be able to bake three or four recipes at a time! What a dream!
It’s blueberry Season and Maine blueberries are so amazing. I have five quarts, so I have been searching through Pinterest for the perfect recipe. I wanted a Blueberry Sour Cream Bundt Cake and this is what I chose. This is a wonderfully light and fluffy cake with lemon zest and a sour cream lemon glaze. It turned out perfect! I asked hubs to critique it. Well, he is no help, this is what he said, ” MMM not as many poppy seeds as the last one.” WHAT????
I think my voice raised a bit, I said, “There aren’t any poppy seeds in this cake or the last cake I baked, you are off your rocker…” HMMPPPHH, have to find a new critic!!!
Well, I did have six of my daughter’s friends try a piece, they loved it.
P.S. There aren’t any poppy seeds in this cake or any other cakes that I have baked ever…. yet!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⅔ cups sugar
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter- room temperature
- 3 large eggs - room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk (scant 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries - mixed with 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Sour Cream Icing
- 4 tablespoons butter - softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 2/4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a bundt pan.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Beat together sugar and butter until fluffy with an electric mixer.
- Continue beating, adding eggs, one at a time.
- Add vanilla and zest, mix well.
- Gradually add in dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk, ending with flour mixture.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into bundt pan.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean about 50 minutes to an hour.
- Cool cake on a baking rack for 15 minutes.
- Turn cake onto cake plate and cool completely before frosting.
- For Icing:
- Using a hand mixer, cream butter, sour cream, vanilla, and lemon juice until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar.
- Add salt and mix until smooth.
- Pour icing on top of cake allowing it to run down the sides.
Recipe adapted from A Southern Soul
Linked up to these parties: