Chocolate Banana Birthday Cake
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup best-quality cocoa
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 4 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Generously grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- 2. In a bowl, sift flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa; set aside.
- 3. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until light in color and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar. Add butter and vanilla. Beat until well blended.
- 4. With mixer at low speed, beat in the sifted dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with the sour cream. Fold bananas and melted chocolate into the cake batter; thoroughly combine.
- 5. Spoon cake batter into prepared Bundt pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 6. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a cooling rack and allow the cake to cool completely.
- 7. While the cake is cooling, prepare the chocolate glaze. Heat the cream until it just comes to a boil.
- 8. Pour the cream over the chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted. Set aside until the cake is completely cooled.
- 9. When the cake is completely cooled, cover the top of the cake and sides with the glaze. Refrigerate the cake for at least an hour to set the glaze.