This is one of my family recipes that is a favorite. My niece made this for our last get together. We had over 40 family members there and there wasn’t a drop left of this luscious dessert! It’s perfect for cookouts and family picnics.
I love everything about summer, especially potlucks! They are my favorite kind of get together’s. I only have to make one recipe and I get to taste everybody else’s recipe, it’s a win-win! It’s a plus when you get together with a great group of cooks, it’s a delicious potluck!
This dessert is super easy. Just mix the ingredients together and pour into a 9 x 13 pan. Place in the freezer overnight. Let thaw for 20 minutes before slicing and serving. For those of you who live outside the states and can not find Cool Whip, I have included a recipe for making homemade Cool Whip.
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 12-ounce package frozen strawberries, room temperature
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drain juice
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 8-ounce Cool Whip, room temperature
- Homemade Cool Whip:
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1¾ cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer. beat together cream cheese and sugar. Add strawberries, pineapple, bananas, and walnuts and turn on mixer to blend. Gently fold in Cool Whip with a spoon.
- Pour into a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Freeze overnight.
- Let thaw for 20 minutes before slicing and serving
- Homemade Cool Whip directions:
- Pour water into a small saucepan.
- Sprinkle gelatin over the water, and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Place pan over medium-low heat and stir until gelatin dissolves.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Once the gelatin mixture has cooled, Place 1 tablespoon of the whipping cream and the cream of tartar in a small ziploc bag.
- Seal the bag and shake it until cream of tartar has dissolved completely and there are no lumps. , use your fingers to work out lumps.
- Pour the cream of tartar mixture into a large bowl along with the rest of the whipping cream and the sugar.
- Beat with a hand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Once cream mixture begins to thicken, slowly pour in gelatin-water while continually mixing.
- Add the vanilla.
- Continue to mix until the cream is thick and smooth.
Summer’s best Potluck Dishes from our #SundaySupper contributors.
- Calamari salad with fennel and avocado by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coronation Chicken Deviled Eggs by Food Lust People Love
- Creamy Ranch Tortilla Pinwheels with Roasted Red Peppers by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Roasted Corn Salsa by Casa de Crews
- Walnut Grapes by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Watermelon Salad with Feta Cheese and Mint by April Golightly
Sides and Salads
- Amish Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad by My World Simplified
- Antipasto Pasta Salad by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Arugula Pesto Pasta Salad with Grilled Chicken by Hardly A Goddess
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chopped Caprese Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Crunchy Coleslaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cumin Scented Quinoa with Black Bean and Corn Salsa by The Hungry Goddess
- Easy Summer Chickpea Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Elotes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Frog Eye Salad by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Gluten Free Grilled Corn Salad by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Layered Salad with Green Goddess Dressing by Delaware Girl Eats
- No Mayo Potato Salad by Simple and Savory
- Roasted Vegetable Couscous Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Spaghetti Salad with Italian Dressing by Kitchen Gidget
- Summer Grain Salad by Pook’s Pantry
- Summer Tortellini Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Tarragon Marinated Brussels Sprouts by Beauty and the Beets
- Steve’s Fried Chicken by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Ginger Parfaits by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Slab Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Caramel Icebox Cake by Cookin’ Mimi
- Caramel “Doughnut” Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Cherry Crumb Bars by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Eclair Cake by Tramplingrose: Cooking, Baking & Ranting in Small-Town South Dakota
- Coconut Lime Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cookie Butter Caramel Swirl Brownies by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Double Chocolate Blondies by Family Around The Table
- Frozen Champagne Salad by Moore or Less Cooking
- How to make a Pineapple Summer Cake by Asian In America
- Lemon Icebox Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisps with Coconut by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- No-Bake Summer Berry Cream Cheese Tarts by Magnolia Days
- Peach Dumplings by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Peanut Butter Bars by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- S’mores Blondies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Pretzel Pie by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Summertime S’Mores by The Freshman Cook
- Triple Peanut Butter Cookies by Cooking With Carlee
- White Sheet Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Whole Wheat Strawberry Galette by The Bitter Side of Sweet
Plus Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake and Best Potluck Dishes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
Special Thanks to our host Shelby Law Ruttan from Grumpy’s Honey Bunch.