Topped with a cinnamon streusel crumble, these Coffee Cake Cookies are a scrumptious treat that’s perfect for breakfast, dessert, or snack time. Quick and easy to make, these cookies are packed with buttery flavor, brown sugar, and cinnamon, making them completely irresistible!
These cookies are a delightful combination of the flavors and textures of a sweetly spiced coffee cake complete with a buttery cinnamon and sugar streusel crumbled on top. It’s all baked into a cookie that’s perfect for enjoying with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk. They’ve become my new favorite cookie! Oh, and they’re so easy to make!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Uses basic pantry ingredients
- No electric mixer is needed – you can whisk by hand
- No chill time for the cookie dough
- The cookies are easy to make, assemble and bake.
- Tastes just like a coffee cake but in a convenient cookie form
For The Cookie Dough
Butter – Use unsalted, sweet cream butter. Set it out to soften.
Flours – Use both all-purpose and cake flour for the best texture for these cookies.
Ground Cinnamon – For that classic coffee cake sweet spice flavor.
Salt – Seasoning
Baking Powder – Leavening agent to help the cookies rise.
Baking Soda – Leavening agent to help the cookies rise.
Sugars – Use both white granulated and light brown sugar to help sweeten the dough and give that classic coffee cake flavor.
Eggs – You’ll need a full egg and an egg yolk for the cookie dough.
Vanilla Extract – For flavor.
For The Streusel Topping
Butter – Use unsalted, sweet cream butter. Set it out to soften.
Flour – Use all-purpose flour.
Sugars – Use both white granulated and light brown sugar to help sweeten the crumble topping and give it texture.
Ground Cinnamon – To spice the streusel.
Salt – Seasoning to help bring out all the flavors
How To Make Coffee Cake Cookies:
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two cookie sheets with baking silicone mats. Set aside.
STEP 2: Melt the butter and let it cool before adding sugars, eggs, and vanilla to it. Whisk until it’s glossy and set aside.
STEP 3: In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients of flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk until combined.
STEP 4: Add the flour mixture to the buttery mixture and stir with a rubber spatula just until the flour is incorporated and a smooth dough forms. Set aside.
STEP 5: Make the streusel topping by melting butter and adding flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt to it. Using your fingertips, pinch and squeeze the dry ingredients into the melted butter until large, irregular clumps form and the mixture resembles wet sand. Set aside.
STEP 6: Form the cookies by scooping out the dough with a medium cookie scoop and rolling them into balls, placing them at least 2 inches apart on the baking sheets, 6 per sheet.
STEP 7: Top the cookie dough balls with the streusel, mounding it at the top of the cookie dough balls.
STEP 8: Bake for 11-13 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Let the cookies cool slightly on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Is There Coffee In Coffee Cake?
No, there is not, which makes us all question why it’s actually called coffee cake! Simply put, it’s an easy cake to make and serve with a cup of coffee. Whether it’s for breakfast or an after-dinner dessert, the not-too-sweet flavor along with a hint of brown sugar and cinnamon pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee. And here, these cookies follow the same flavor profile, making them an excellent handheld option to have with your coffee!
Do I Need To Chill The Dough?
No, no chilling is needed. However, you can certainly make the dough ahead of time and keep it chilled in the fridge or even in the freezer, tightly wrapped until you’re ready to make the cookies. I suggest making the streusel topping only when you’re ready to immediately use it.
Can I Use Dark Brown Sugar?
This recipe calls for light brown sugar, but you can substitute dark if that’s what you have on hand. In fact, here’s what I like to do: I’ll use light brown sugar in the cookie dough to keep the cookie light-colored and use dark brown sugar in the streusel crumble topping to give a colorful contrast, just like you get when you make an actual coffee cake. Totally up to you!
While I love this recipe as-is, you can add in, sparingly, so as not to overwhelm the dough with inclusions, any of the following for a slightly different taste profile.
- Chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans
- Chopped dried fruit, such as cranberries, cherries, or dates
Can I Add A Glaze To The Top?
Sure! If you want to elevate the streusel topping with a little glaze drizzle, that would be scrumptious and look even more enticing! Just whisk together 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, 1-2 teaspoons of milk, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract until it forms a glaze. Using a fork, drizzle it over the top of each cookie.
Store baked cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
10 Coffee Cakes to Start Your Morning
Coffee Cake Cookies
These cookies are a delightful combination of the flavors and textures of a sweetly spiced coffee cake complete with a buttery cinnamon and sugar streusel crumbled on top. It's all baked into a cookie that's perfect for enjoying with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk.
- Coffee Cake Cookies Ingredients:
- 1 cup unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ¼ cups cake flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Streusel topping:
- ¼ cups unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Gather all of the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two cookie sheets with baking silicone mats.
- Place 2 sticks of unsalted butter in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 20-second bursts until fully melted.
- Place 1 ½ cup flour, 1 ¼ cup cake flour, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in a medium bowl and whisk until combined.
- Add 1 cup sugar, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1 large egg, 1 large egg yolk, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract to the melted butter.
- Whisk until smooth and glossy.
- Add the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula just until the flour is incorporated and a smooth dough forms.
Make the streusel topping:
- Place ¼ cup unsalted butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave 10-second bursts until fully melted, 30 to 40 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Using your fingertips, pinch and squeeze the dry ingredients into the melted butter until large, irregular clumps form and the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Scoop out the dough with a medium cookie scoop and roll it into a ball.
- Place at least 2 inches apart on the baking sheets, 6 per sheet.
- Top the cookie dough balls with the streusel, mounding it at the top of the cookie dough balls. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Let cool slightly on the baking sheets for 5 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ifuerte 10-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set
McCormick Ground Cinnamon, 2.37 oz
365 Everyday Value, Organic Vanilla Extract, 2 fl oz
C&H, Cane Sugar, Golden Brown, 2lb Bag (Pack of 2)
Kitchen Aid Hand Mixer
Domino Sugar, Granulated, 4LB Canister
365 Everyday Value, All-Purpose Flour, 5 lb