Moist Apple Coffee Cake filled with layers of cinnamon sugar streusel and apples covered with a light glaze. A wonderful homemade from scratch coffee cake for breakfast, brunch, snack, or dessert.
It’s apple picking season in Maine and I am creating a dozen different apple recipes that are so delicious!
Starting off with my Best Apple Fritter Coffee Cake! This coffee cake is so wonderful with layers of cinnamon sugar apples, delicious coffeecake, and a light drizzle.
The smells from my oven are intoxicatingly wonderful. Smells like a perfect fall day! Incredibly moist cake is full of cinnamon sugar-coated chopped apples, covered in a light glaze.
APPLE FRITTER CAKE
Apple desserts are perfect for fall or winter holidays and get-togethers but there is no need to wait for a special occasion to try this apple fritter cake. It’s incredibly simple, you can make it any day of the week!
Try a slice or two, share it with your friends!
What you will need to make Best Apple Fritter Coffee Cake:
- brown sugar
- white sugar
- baking powder
- powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE This Delicious Homemade from Scratch APPLE FRITTER CAKE:
In a medium-sized bowl, cream butter and sugar with a hand mixer slowly add flour mixture mix until creamy and blended add milk.
Mix the cake batter until creamy and smooth. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over chopped apples. Pour 1/2 of the batter into a greased loaf pan. Then pour 1/2 of the apples into the batter. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar streusel over apples. Add remaining batter, apples, and streusel.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the coffee cake. Bake for 1 hourLet cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before flipping out of the pan.
Do Coffee Cakes Have Coffee In The Ingredients?
Many years ago coffee cake recipes actually called for coffee as an ingredient, the term “coffee cake” generally refers to a type of simple, usually unfrosted cake that is an accompaniment to coffee, rather than a cake that contains coffee.
Using a knife, go around the sides making sure all edges are not sticking to the pan. Spoon glaze over warm Best Apple Fritter Coffee Cake.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Here’s what you will need:
Beat white sugar and butter together using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until blended in; add in vanilla extract.
Combine & whisk flour and baking powder together in another bowl and add in creamed butter mixture and stir until blended.
Mix milk into batter until smooth.
Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the apple mixture, then half the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
Pour the remaining batter over apple layer and top with remaining apple mixture, then the remaining brown sugar-cinnamon mixture.
Toss the coated apples, pour over the cake batter.
What Kind of Cake is an Apple Fritter Coffee Cake?
Apple Fritter Cake is a soft apple-filled cake, with a crispy sugar glaze! You’re favorite old fashioned doughnut in cake form!
Does This Cake Taste like an Apple Fritter?
I chose to make an Apple Fritter Cake for a couple of reasons. Apple Fritters are my pastry of choice when I get to pick one from the bakery.
I love the light layer of glaze atop of the fritter and the juicy bits of apple and cinnamon once you bite in. I also wanted a cake that had apples and cinnamon which was easy enough to whip up and get me out of the kitchen without too much fuss.
This cake is very simple to prepare, a basic batter is layered between a luscious filling of cinnamon sautéed apples. There’s also a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar in there too, it adds a nice touch.
Swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using a knife or spoon.
Need a simple dessert that delivers great taste? Apple Fritter Cake is a tender cake, with a layer of apples and a delicious glaze on top.
More Apple Recipes:
Nettie is a wife and mother who is passionate about cooking and baking. With 5 children, Nettie insists that all meals, snacks, and desserts come together quickly! You will find a wide variety of easy yet scrumptious recipes on her very popular website Moore or Less Cooking
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #mooreorlesscooking so I can see all the wonderful recipes that YOU make from this site!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I would love for you to leave a rating and a comment below! How’d you do?!
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT!
Moist Apple Coffee Cake filled with layers of cinnamon sugar streusel and apples covered with a light glaze. A wonderful option for breakfast, brunch, snack or dessert.
- Coffee cake:
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped (your favorite kind), mixed with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons of milk or cream- depending on the thickness of the glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a 9x5-inch loaf pan and grease with Crisco or spray with non-stick spray or line with foil and spray with non-stick spray to get out easily for slicing.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, beat white sugar and butter together using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until blended in; add in vanilla extract.
- Combine & whisk flour and baking powder together in another bowl and add in creamed butter mixture and stir until blended.
- Mix milk into batter until smooth.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the apple mixture, then half the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Pour the remaining batter over apple layer and top with remaining apple mixture, then the remaining brown sugar cinnamon mixture.
- Swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using knife or spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, approximately 50-60 minutes.
- To make the glaze, mix powdered sugar and milk or cream together until well mixed.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before drizzling with glaze.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 403Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 83mgSodium 232mgCarbohydrates 64gFiber 2gSugar 42gProtein 5g
Adapted from Lui in Cucina