When I feel like a meatless meal, this is my go to mac and cheese recipe. This time I used a cast iron skillet, the skillet stays hot for a while so be careful. I love a mac and cheese recipe with a browned top layer of crust, it adds dimension to the whole flavor of mac and cheese. Warning! This mac and cheese doesn’t last long with lots of kids, so enjoy it!!
Cheesy Mac and Cheese, baked in a skillet pan!
- 1 package elbow macaroni cooked al dente
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded plus 1/2 cup for topping
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons minced onion ( I like red onion for taste and color)
- 1/2 teaspoon Lawry's salt
- 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- fresh ground pepper
- Cook macaroni according to directions on package.
- Set aside. In a saute pan, melt butter, add flour and stir until golden brown, add milk, stir until it thickens, add cheese.
- Stir until blended well.
- Toss in macaroni.
- Turn into greased two quart cast iron pot (or a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish).
- Add onions, sprinkle Lawry's Salt and fresh ground pepper on top, add panko crumbs and cheddar cheese.
- Bake mixture in high heat oven [450°] for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serves 8.