It’s still too cool here to turn on the BBQ, so why not turn on your slow cooker for this delicious melt in your mouth, slow cooker BBQ Beef Brisket? Homemade Spice Rub and Homemade BBQ sauce makes this drool worthy brisket a family favorite!
Homemade Spice Rub smells so fragrant
Slice Brisket in half width wise, then cover with the seasoning rub
BBQ sauce in Slow Cooker
Place Brisket in BBQ sauce, Cover with lid, let cook on Low for 10 hours
When done, place on cutting board and slice or shred BBQ Beef Brisket
This Beefy brisket is transformed into tender morsels of barbecue goodness. Rub the beef with a combination of chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, cayenne, and garlic, then slow-cook it in a sweet-savory sauce that includes smoky chipotle chiles. After 10 hours of gentle cooking, the meat can be sliced or shredded, tossed with the sauce, and stuffed into a sandwich. Serve with baked beans, coleslaw and my zesty potato salad.
- For the barbecue sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the brisket:
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1 (5-pound) beef brisket
- Place all of the barbecue sauce ingredients in a 3-quart or larger slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Place all of the measured brisket ingredients except the brisket in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the brisket on a cutting board and cut it in half widthwise. Evenly coat it with the spice rub and place the 2 brisket pieces in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until fork-tender, about 10 hours.
- Transfer the brisket to a clean cutting board. Pour the barbecue sauce from the slow cooker into a medium heatproof bowl and set it aside.
- Remove the excess fat from the brisket and discard it. Slice the meat against the grain into 1/4-inch-thick pieces and return it to the slow cooker. (Alternatively, you can shred the meat with 2 forks.)
- Use a spoon to skim and discard the fat from the surface of the barbecue sauce. Return the sauce to the slow cooker and stir gently to combine it with the meat. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Serving Size2-3 slices
Amount Per Serving Calories 211Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 22mgSodium 1532mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 3gSugar 28gProtein 9g