Every year I make hubs Corned Beef and Cabbage and every year I ask myself why I don’t make it more often, the corned beef always gets gobbled up so quickly, so I go out to the market and buy another corned beef.
This year, I decided to bake my Corned Beef and Cabbage, except lo and behold, we didn’t buy any cabbage…gasp…So I baked the Corned Beef with potatoes and carrots and hubs went to the market to get a head of cabbage.
After everything was nicely baked, I placed all the ingredients in a crock pot, but the cabbage wasn’t cooking quick enough for me, so I placed it all in the oven, oh my my! Hubs said this was THE BEST CORNED BEEF!! Wow after 20 years of making this meal, I will be changing to baked only. The Corned Beef didn’t come with a seasoned packet so I made my own seasoning. Perfection!
- 1 package Corned Beef Brisket (3-4 Pounds)
- 6 potatoes quartered
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 green cabbage, cut up
- 2 Tablespoons Peppercorn
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- ½ cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Unwrap the brisket and place it fat side up inside the baking dish.
- If it came with a spice packet, sprinkle it over the top, then sprinkle on the black peppercorns and minced garlic and rub it in.
- Cover the dish with a lid or heavy aluminum foil and place it in the oven for 2½ hours-3½ hours..
- Check the brisket by inserting a fork in the meat.
- If it goes in easily, it’s ready; if it meets with resistance, bake for another 30 minutes---or up to an hour in some cases!
- If the brisket is tough, it hasn't cooked long enough!
- Once the brisket is fork-tender, remove it from the oven and let it rest, covered loosely in foil. Add cabbage and veggies during the last ½ hour-45 minutes plus water
- Slice Corned beef into good sized slices, serve veggies along side.
Have a Guinness Beer or two with this delicious meal.
Happy St.Patrick’s Day from the Moore Family!
May you always have…
Walls for the winds
A roof for the rain
Tea beside the fire
Laughter to cheer you
Those you love near you
And all your heart might desire.