With the weather being almost 80 degrees, it’s so hard being inside working on my computer. I just want to be in my garden planting veggies and flowers and grilling outside. So I decided to make Kebabs for Sunday Supper!
After grilling these Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs I was having a hard time keeping my kids and hubs from eating them before supper was served. My daughter said this was the best thing that I have ever made for dinner! Not only do they look beautiful, but the marinade is incredible. I placed the chicken in a big Ziploc with the marinade overnight in the refrigerator.
It takes a bit of prep work chopping the veggies and then skewering them, but it is worth the extra effort for a delicious entree.
Chop veggies and pineapple, or use a can of pineapple chunks.
Make marinade. Cover chicken with marinade in a Ziploc baggie, set in refrigerator over night.
Soak wooden skewers in water for 1 hour.
Delicious and addictive Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs~ Marinated tender chunks of chicken grilled on a skewer with juicy pineapple, caramelized onion and flavorful peppers.
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided, plus more for brushing grill
- 1 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (4 tsp)
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 cups canned pineapple chunks
- 1 1/2 large green peppers, chopped into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, chopped into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- In a mixing bowl whisk together ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, 2 Tbsp olive oil, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Stir in 3/4 tsp pepper and season with salt if desired.
- Place chicken in a gallon size Ziploc bag.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the marinade in refrigerator then pour remaining marinade over chicken.
- Seal bag and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- Soak 10 wooden skewer sticks in a bowl of water for 1 hour.
- Preheat a grill over medium high heat to 400 degrees.
- Meanwhile, drizzle remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil over red onion, bell pepper and pineapple and toss. Season red onion and bell pepper with salt and pepper, then thread red onion, bell pepper, pineapple and chicken onto skewers until all of the chicken has been used.
- Brush grill grates with olive oil then place skewers on grill
- Grill 5 minutes then brush along tops of kebabs with 1/4 cup of remaining marinade.
- Rotate to opposite side and brush remaining 1/4 cup of marinade on opposite side and allow to grill about 4 minutes longer, or until chicken registers 165 degrees an instant read thermometer. Serve warm.
Sunday Supper is firing up the grills this week and sharing recipes for everything grilled…from appetizers to desserts and even a beverage in the THROW SOMETHING ON THE BARBIE event!
- Grilled Peach and Pineapple Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Let’s Get This BBQ Started!
- Bruschetta with Grilled Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa by Taste And See
- Grilled Avocado with Cilantro-Lime Cream by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
The Main Event
- Bison Sliders with Special Sauce by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Bourbon & Brown Sugar Marinated Grilled Steak by Books n’ Cooks
- Buffalo Wing Burger by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Chicken Mazatlan by Palatable Pastime
- Greek Lamb Burgers by Positively Stacey
- Grilled Avocado with Confetti Shrimp Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Shrimp Corn Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Duck with a Red Wine Reduction by Monica’s Table
- Grilled London Broil Steak Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Pork and Pineapple Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Ribeye with Simple Spice Rub by Cooking Chat
- Grilled Salami Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Grilled Honey Balsamic Chicken by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Orange Tomato Sauce by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Strawberry Mango Salsa by simple and savory
- Honey Mustard Grilled Pork Chops by My World Simplified
- How to Grill Salmon and Shrimps in Banana Leaves by Asian In America
- Lemon Herbed Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Momma’s Meals
- The Best Baby Back Ribs Ever!! by A Day in the Life on the Farm
On a Side Note
- Easy Garlicky Grilled Polenta by She Loves Biscotti
- Easy Grilled Artichokes by April Golightly
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Cantaloupe Salad with Queso Fresco and Herbs by Cooking With Carlee
- Grilled Corn with Herb Butter by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad by Cookin’ Mimi
Saucy Sentiments and Rebellious Rubs
- Homemade Burger Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Coffee Steak Rub by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Grilled Banana Boats by Our Good Life
- Grilled Blueberry Cobbler by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Dessert Pizza by Baking Sense
- Grilled Pineapple with Vanilla Sorbet by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Strawberry & Blue Basil Granita by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Super Simple Grilled Peaches by And She Cooks
Plus Piri Piri Sauce and Recipes for Summer Grilling from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
Special thanks to our host Sue from Palatable Pastime.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy