These Chocolate Toffee Bars are a delectable treat with a shortbread crust topped with a gooey
and buttery sweet filling that holds a layer of toffee-crusted chocolate for the perfect finish.
These triple-layered bars are perfect for any holiday – winter, spring, summer, or fall!
But I do like to make them during the Christmas holidays. There’s something about the combo
of chocolate and toffee which is perfect for enjoying along with a glass of milk, or a cup of coffee
or hot chocolate.
You’ll love these decadent bars that are easy to make, even though the layers require a few
separate sessions in the oven. The final outcome is totally worth it, so set aside a little time to
make these chocolate and toffee bars that are guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser!
Butter – Use unsalted. Set it out to soften before mixing it with the other crust ingredients.
Brown Sugar – You can use light or dark.
Flour – Use regular all-purpose flour.
Sweetened Condensed Milk – This is heated and mixed with butter to create a sweet filling.
Butter – Needed to help the filling thicken when heated with the sweetened condensed milk.
Semisweet Chocolate Chips – To create the top chocolate layer.
Toffee Bits – For the crunchy garnish on top of the chocolate layer.
How To Make Chocolate Toffee Bars:
Note: This is a summary of the recipe steps. For complete instructions, see the recipe card down below.
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare an 8×8 baking dish with butter or line it with parchment paper.
STEP 2: Make the crust by beating together the softened butter, brown sugar, and flour until creamy and well-blended.
STEP 3: Press the crust evenly into the bottom of the baking pan and bake for 25 minutes until lightly golden. Remove and set aside to cool completely.
STEP 4: Prepare the filling by heating, in a saucepan, the sweetened condensed milk, and butter. Stir it continuously on low to medium heat for 5-10 minutes until it thickens.
STEP 5: Pour the mixture over the cooled crust and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
STEP 6: Remove from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top. Return the pan to the oven for 2 more minutes until the chips begin to melt.
STEP 7: Remove from the oven and, using a rubber spatula, evenly spread the melting chocolate chips over the top.
STEP 8: Garnish the top with the toffee bits and lightly press them into the chocolate.
STEP 9: Cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Be sure to grease the baking pan well or line it with parchment paper that overhangs so that it can easily lift the uncut toffee bars out and onto a flat surface to slice.
- Soften the butter on the countertop if at all possible rather than using the microwave. You want soft, not melted, butter so that it creams easily.
- You can make the shortbread crust ahead of time and let it cool completely, cover, it overnight, and just finish the recipe the next day.
Where Do I Find Toffee Bits?
Toffee is caramelized brown sugar that becomes hard and can be broken or shattered into hard candy bits.
You can actually purchase toffee bits in the candy or baking section of your grocery store or you can use crushed Heath candy bars, which are a combo of toffee and almonds that are surrounded by chocolate.
You can also make your own toffee bits! The easy recipe is right below.
How To Make Your Own Toffee Bits
You can make this 3-ingredient toffee recipe right on your stovetop. You need 1 stick of unsalted butter, 1 cup of light brown sugar, and a pinch of sea salt. I do like to have a candy thermometer on hand just to make sure I’ve gotten the mixture to the right temperature before I turn it out on the parchment paper to harden.
STEP 1: Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
STEP 2: Add the stick of butter to a saucepan and melt it over medium heat before adding the sugar and salt, whisking continuously until combined, while still on the heat. Continue stirring, for about 10 minutes, until the mixture starts to thicken and the candy thermometer reads between 295°F- 305°F.
STEP 3: Remove it from the heat and carefully pour it out, evenly spread, on the parchment paper. Let it cool and harden for up to 30 minutes. You can then break it into bits by putting it in a Ziploc bag and using a hard object, such as a rolling pin, to crush it into pieces.
Variations For Chocolate Toffee Bars
- If you’re looking for a more substantial shortbread base, add a small egg to the crust mixture.
- For a little more flavor in the crust, add a teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract.
- For a nutty topping, add finely chopped walnuts or sliced almonds in place or in addition to the toffee bits.
- For a saltier topping, add flaky sea salt in place of or in addition to the toffee bits.
Keep your chocolate toffee bars in an airtight container on the countertop for up to 4 days or in the fridge for up to 7 days.
More Delicious Bar Recipes:
These Chocolate Toffee Bars are a delectable treat with a shortbread crust topped with a gooey and buttery sweet filling that holds a layer of toffee-crusted chocolate for the perfect finish. These triple-layered bars are perfect for any holiday - winter, spring, summer, or fall!
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 (10 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 3/4 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 ⅓ cups toffee bits
- Gather all of the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8x8-inch baking pan.
- Soften butter for a couple of seconds in the microwave, or however, you like.
- Beat brown sugar, softened butter, and flour in a medium or large bowl until nice and creamy or well blended.
- Press evenly on the bottom of the 8x8 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove from oven while preparing the filling.
- In a small pot, heat sweetened condensed milk and butter, stirring constantly at low to medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour and spread evenly over the cooled crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Sprinkle milk chocolate chips evenly all over the top.
- Bake for 2 more minutes or until the chocolate is shiny.
- Remove from the oven and spread chocolate all over the top.
- Sprinkle toffee bits all over top. Tap lightly into the chocolate.
- Cool completely, then cut into bars.
These Chocolate Toffee bars are my new favorite treat! So easy. Yummy toffee bits just call for a delicious time! Show these off at your next get-together! They will go crazy for them!
Tips and Tricks •
- Add in nuts!
- You can use ANY type of chocolate instead of semisweet chocolate
- Cover and store at room temperature
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
3 Quart Sauce Pan
Ifuerte 10-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set
Glass Baking Dish
Heath Bits O' Brickle Gluten-Free Rich English Toffee Bits for Baking, Toppings - 2 Pck (16 oz)
Nestle Toll House, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip Morsels, 24 oz
Carnation Sweetened Condensed Milk, 14 fl oz
365 Everyday Value, All-Purpose Flour, 5 lb
C&H, Cane Sugar, Golden Brown, 2lb Bag (Pack of 2)
365 Everyday Value, Unsalted Butter, 16 oz
Amount Per Serving Calories 500Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 64mgSodium 153mgCarbohydrates 58gFiber 2gSugar 44gProtein 3g