This Hawaiian Chicken Dinner can be on your table in under 30 minutes, thanks to your Instant Pot. Served on top of rice, this sweet and savory pineapple chicken meal is always a family favorite that’s guaranteed a spot in your dinner rotation schedule!
The flavor is on full display with this easy recipe that practically makes itself. Chicken is seasoned to tender perfection with the addition of soy sauce, onion, bell peppers, garlic, ginger, pineapple, and sesame oil. These simple pantry ingredients are all you need to make a scrumptious Hawaiian Chicken dinner.
The best part is you just prep the ingredients and add them to your pressure cooker. Lock the lid, set your Instant Pot, and let it pressure cook. Once finished, you’ll need to prepare a little slurry to thicken the sauce and then you’re ready to serve this tropical-inspired meal over rice. So easy!
Oh, and if you need to keep this meal low carb, I’ve got recommendations and suggestions for that, too!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Perfect for Instant Pot beginners
- No cooking skills needed
- It’s a quick dump-and-go recipe
- Flavorful and kid-friendly, even if you have picky eaters
- Adaptable for low-carb diets
Skinless Chicken Thighs – Two pounds, cut into chunks.
Pineapple Chunks – Use canned chunks and juice. Pineapple adds that tropical and sweet flavor to the recipe.
Red Bell Pepper – Cut into chunks. You can use yellow, orange, or green, and add even more if you love bell peppers.
Red Onion – Cut into pieces.
Soy and Hoisin Sauces – Added for flavor.
Brown Sugar – Adds sweetness.
Sesame Oil – For flavor.
Spices: Ground garlic powder and ground ginger powder add flavor and dimension.
Cornstarch – For thickening the sauce before serving.
How To Make In The Instant Pot
Note: This is a summary. Detailed instructions are below in the recipe card.
- Place all the prepped ingredients except for some reserved pineapple juice and cornstarch in the Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Cook for 5 minutes and release pressure before removing the lid.
- Make a slurry with the reserved pineapple juice and cornstarch and add it to the pressure cooker. Stir to combine.
- Set the Instant pot to sauté and let the ingredients simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens
- Serve over rice or noodles.
Low Carb Options
- Instead of cornstarch, use 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum.
- Instead of traditional brown sugar, use Swerve brown sugar substitute
- Instead of soy sauce, use coconut aminos
- Instead of hoisin sauce, use a low-carb sugar-free BBQ sauce.
- Instead of serving the Hawaiian chicken over rice, serve it over riced cauliflower.
Can I Use Other Cuts Of Chicken?
Absolutely! The recipe calls for chicken thighs because they’re typically more flavorful, but thick-cut chicken breasts or even chicken tenders will work, too.
- If you like your bell peppers to have a little more structure and crispness to them, leave them out of the initial cooking and add them in when you add the slurry to thicken the sauce. They’ll soften just a bit, but not be mushy.
- If you like the dish a little spicier, add crushed red pepper flakes or a few dashes of sriracha sauce when cooking.
- Always use a natural release on your Instant Pot to avoid a mess when the cooking is finished. Definitely do a natural release after the initial cooking before you finish with a quick release.
- Make your rice while the chicken is cooking. Make it on the stovetop or if you happen to own a second Instant Pot or a rice cooker, even better! I like white jasmine rice, but any rice, even brown rice will work with this recipe.
- Sesame Seeds
- Slivered almonds or cashew nuts
- Sliced green onions
- Fresh cilantro
How To Store
For leftovers, store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop.
To freeze, cool the cooked Hawaiian chicken (without rice) and place it in a freezer-safe container or ziplock bag, with the air pressed out, for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating on the stovetop.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
This Hawaiian Chicken Dinner can be on your table in under 30 minutes, thanks to your Instant Pot. Served on top of rice, this sweet and savory pineapple and chicken meal is always a family favorite that's guaranteed a spot in your dinner rotation schedule!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, reserving 2 tablespoons of the juice
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT 2 tablespoons of pineapple juice and cornstarch in the pressure cooker liner. Stir.
- Cover the pressure cooker and set the valve to seal. Cook on “manual” or “pressure cook” for 5 minutes. All to release naturally for 10 minutes before quick release to remove the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and turn the pressure cooker to “saute.”
- In a small bowl, stir together the reserved pineapple juice and cornstarch to create a slurry. Pour into the pressure cooker and stir gently to combine. Allow chicken to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
Cook’s notes: About 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum can be substituted for the cornstarch. Swerve Brown Sugar substitute can be used to replace the brown sugar. Barbecue sauce can be substituted for the hoisin sauce although it will alter the flavor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Stackable Pans
Kikkoman Soy Sauce - 10 oz
Wok Mei Gluten Free Hoisin Sauce, 8 Oz.
Kadoya 100% Pure Sesame Oil 5.5 oz
Roots Circle 100% Pure Corn Starch | 1 [17oz] Airtight Container | All Natural Thickener for Soups, Stews, Gravy, Baking Pies, Puddings & Cakes | Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, Vegan, Kosher, Food-Grade
C&H, Cane Sugar, Golden Brown, 2lb Bag (Pack of 2)
McCormick Ground Ginger, 1.5 oz
Monumental Spices Garlic Powder, 11.5 oz
Dole Crushed Pineapple in Juice
Amount Per Serving Calories 440Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 185mgSodium 1444mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 1gSugar 27gProtein 39g