Creamy, hearty, and comforting, this Slow Cooker White Bean and Chicken Enchilada Soup is loaded with green chiles, beans, spices, and chunks of chicken. It’s a set-it-and-forget-it meal, thanks to your slow cooker!
If you love chicken enchiladas, you’ll love this recipe that takes those same delicious flavors and presents them in soup form. This White Bean and Chicken Enchilada Soup is the perfect meal to serve on busy weeknights or as a cozy weekend dinner when the weather turns chilly. It’s made in the slow cooker so it can simmer away all day while you do other things.
This creamy soup is amazingly easy to make. There’s no browning or sautéing of any ingredients before you dump them in the crockpot. If you can chop a few veggies, add the chicken, open a few cans, sprinkle in a few powdered seasonings, and pour in some chicken broth, you’re good to go!
Just turn on your slow cooker and set and forget it for a few hours. Right before serving, you’ll stir in sour cream to make it rich and creamy. Add your favorite toppings and serve. Your family will love this enchilada-inspired soup.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast – you’ll need one pound, cut into cubes.
- Onion and green bell pepper – dice the onion and dice the bell pepper. Be sure to remove the seeds from the jalapeno pepper.
- Seasonings: garlic powder, chili powder, ground cumin, black pepper. These will flavor and add a little spicy heat to the soup.
- Chicken broth – use your favorite brand and use low sodium if you want to control the salt.
- Canned navy beans – make sure to drain and rinse the beans before using.
- Chopped green chiles – use the canned version; just add them in, no need to drain.
- Corn – I use frozen corn, but you can also use canned. Just be sure to drain the corn before adding it to the slow cooker.
- Sour cream – use your favorite brand. I use full-fat so it makes the soup thick and rich.
How To Make This Soup
You’ll love this simple 3 step method of making this soup!
- In a large slow cooker, add all the ingredients except for the sour cream. Give it a stir and put the lid on.
- Set your slow cooker to high for 4 hours or on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Stir in the sour cream just before serving.
Important Tip Before Serving
My most important tip for this soup is that you stir in the sour cream individually in each bowl. Here’s why: if you have leftovers of this soup, it will store best without the sour cream in it. It’s super easy to just add a dollop of sour cream to everyone’s bowl and let them stir it in.
Everyone loves to add those extra bits of deliciousness to their soup, so here are some awesome suggestions to customize this soup.
- Shredded cheese such as cheddar or Monterey Jack
- Diced jalapeños
- Green salsa
- Broken tortilla chips
- More sour cream
What To Serve With This Slow Cooker Soup
This is the perfect soup to serve with a side of bread. My Cheesy Garlic Bread slathered with a homemade herbed garlic butter would be awesome with this soup.
If French Bread is more your style, try my homemade recipe.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Instead?
Absolutely! In fact, they may be even more flavorful. You can also use turkey thighs.
How To Store Leftovers
For refrigerator: store cooled leftovers, without the sour cream stirred in, in a sealed container for up to 3 days. To reheat, simmer on the stovetop until heated through.
For the freezer: freeze cooled leftovers, without the sour cream stirred in, in a freezer-safe container or zip lock bag with the air pressed out, for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and then simmer on the stovetop until heated through.
Other Soup Recipes
Follow Me Here!
Leave Me a Rating if You Make This Soup!
Creamy, hearty, and comforting, this Slow Cooker White Bean and Chicken Enchilada Soup is fully loaded with green chiles, beans, spices, and chunks of chicken. It's a set-it-and-forget-it meal, thanks to your slow cooker!
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounces) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (4 ounces) cans chopped green chiles
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 jalapeno pepper for decoration, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese for serving on top of soup
- Using a large slow cooker, add all ingredients EXCEPT the sour cream.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Stir in the sour cream just before serving.
My most important tip for this soup is that you stir in the sour cream individually in each bowl. Here's why: if you have leftovers of this soup, it will store best without the sour cream in it. It's super easy to just add a dollop of sour cream to everyone's bowl and let them stir it in.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Goya Diced Green Chiles, Fire Roasted, 4 oz
365 by Whole Foods Market, Beans Navy Organic, 15.5 Ounce
Daisy, Regular Sour Cream, 8 oz
Amazon Brand - Happy Belly Whole Kernel Corn, 15 Ounce
Amazon Brand - Happy Belly Chicken Broth, 32 Ounce
365 Everyday Value Prepacked Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (Step 2)
McCormick Black Peppercorn Grinder, 2.5 oz
Amazon Brand - Happy Belly Cumin, Ground, 2.6 Ounces
Monumental Spices Garlic Powder, 11.5 oz
Green Bell Pepper
Crock-Pot SCV700SS Stainless Steel 7-Quart Oval Manual Slow Cooker, 7 Quart
Slow Cooker Liners
Amount Per Serving Calories 197Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 54mgSodium 506mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 19g
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Moore or Less Cooking!