If you’re looking for a tender and delicious beef appetizer, these Slow Cooker Taco Steak Bites with Queso couldn’t be easier. Spicy Mexican-inspired flavors are infused by cooking the beef low and slow making them perfect for dipping in the warm and zesty queso.
This is practically a dump-and-go recipe that’s so easy you’ll be making it regularly! With just minimal hands-on time to cut the steak into bite-sized pieces, the rest of the ingredients need zero prep.
You’ll make the queso dip separately and it’s a quick 2-ingredient recipe that just needs heating on the stovetop. What could be easier? Be sure and have some tortilla chips handy, too, to dip in this cheesy sauce!
Beef – Use steak, chuck roast, or stew beef, cut into bite-size pieces.
Dried Minced Onion – You can also use onion powder.
Garlic – Minced garlic cloves are what I use. You can also use garlic powder, although the minced cloves will give a stronger flavor.
Taco Seasoning – Use a packet of your favorite taco seasoning.
Butter – To help flavor and add some fat to the steak bites while slow cooking.
Water – To keep the ingredients and steak moist while slow cooking.
Velveeta Cheese – You’ll need a block of the white queso or the traditional version.
Tomatoes with Green Chiles – Drain the can since you’ll be adding it to the melted Velveeta cheese.
How To Make Slow Cooker Taco Steak Bites with Queso
STEP 1: In a large bowl, combine the bite-sized beef with the garlic, onion, and taco seasonings. Stir until evenly coated and then place them in your slow cooker.
STEP 2: Pour in the water and top with all the pats of butter.
STEP 3: Place the lid on and slow cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 4 hours, until the meat is tender.
STEP 4: When ready to serve, make the queso by adding the Velveeta cheese and drained tomatoes, and chiles to a medium saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until everything is melted.
STEP 5: Using a slotted spoon, remove the steak bites from the slow cooker and serve with the queso for dipping.
What Type Of Steak Should I Use?
I like to use chuck roast or stew beef that’s already been cut and packaged. Honestly, though, almost any steak, such as sirloin, tenderloin, rib eye, and even New York Strip would be amazing. Just cut it into bite-sized chunks for this recipe.
Do I Need To Brown The Meat?
No, you do not need to brown the meat ahead of time. Just toss it with the seasonings and add it to the slow cooker. Cooking it low and slow will thoroughly cook the meat, so there’s no need to brown it.
Which Type Of Velveeta Cheese Should I Use?
You can use either the Mexican Velveeta loaf or the original. Both work and melt the same. The Mexican has additional spices and jalapeno added to it.
How To Serve Slow Cooker Taco Steak Bites with Queso
We love to eat these by dipping them in the queso, of course! They’re perfect as appetizers, but you can also make a full meal with this recipe. Here are some ideas:
- Since these are seasoned with spicy taco flavors, they’re perfect for serving with warm flour tortillas or crispy taco shells, complete with all your favorite toppings.
- You can also serve them over rice and drizzle the queso on top. So good!
- Serve them over a baked potato and smother them with queso. Swoon!
- Serve them with a side salad and a side of french fries or tortilla chips, for dipping.
There’s no wrong way to enjoy these zesty taco steak bites!
How To Make Your Own Taco Seasoning
While it’s super easy to tear open a packet of taco seasoning, if you’re wanting to customize it to your tastes, just use your own homemade version.
Here’s my homemade seasoning mix that makes about 2 cups worth. Just mix all the spices and keep them in a glass jar with a tight fighting lid.
Add 1 tablespoon of each of the following in a bowl and stir until combined:
- chili powder
- smoked paprika
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- sea salt.
- dash of freshly ground black pepper.
Note: For this recipe of Slow Cooker Taco Steak Bites, you’ll need 2 heaping Tablespoons of taco seasoning to replace the packet of store-bought seasoning.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop. You may need to add a splash of water.
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
Slow Cooker Roast Beef and Gravy
Slow Cooker Taco Steak Bites with Queso
If you're looking for a tender and delicious beef appetizer, these Slow Cooker Taco Steak Bites with Queso couldn't be easier. Spicy Mexican-inspired flavors are infused by cooking the beef low and slow making them perfect for dipping in the warm and zesty queso.
- 2 ½ pounds to 3 pounds of steak, chuck roast or stew beef, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion or onion powder
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup water
- 16 ounces white queso Velveeta cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- Gather all of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine your beef with the garlic, onion, and seasonings.
- Stir until evenly coated.
- Place it into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add the water and top with the butter.
- Slow cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 4 hours, until the meat, is tender.
- When ready to serve make the queso.
- In a medium saucepan add Velveeta cheese and drained tomatoes and chiles.
- Stir over medium-low heat until everything is melted.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the steak bites from the slow cooker and serve with the queso for dipping.
Tips and Tricks:
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can use any kind of taco seasoning you prefer.
- You can also use garlic powder in place of fresh garlic.
- For a kick add some jalapeno to the steak bites while cooking.
- The queso is great for dipping chips in as well.
- I like to use the white queso Velveeta for this but you can use the regular yellow one as well.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1397Total Fat 96gSaturated Fat 45gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 34gCholesterol 461mgSodium 1731mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 115g