This easy Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff recipe will give you tender chunks of beef in a savory and creamy sauce that you’ll serve over egg noodles for a family favorite meal that’s perfect for busy days.
Beef stroganoff is comfort food, don’t you think? The savory beef chunks just melt in your mouth along with the savory onion-flavored mushroom sauce that’s made creamy with sour cream and cream cheese. It all sits on a bed of tender egg noodles.
This economical and pantry-staple meal is always on my list for meal prep. It’s practically a dump-and-go recipe. It’s also perfect for doubling so I have intentional leftovers for later in the week. I stash the leftovers in the fridge, without the egg noodles, and they’ll keep for 3-4 days.
It’s a great meal to start at lunchtime and have ready for your evening meal. I like to do this on weekends when I know I have a busy afternoon out of the house and the last thing I want to do is cook when I return home.
Whenever you make it, it’s a slow cooker wonder that turns out fall-off-the-fork tender, every time!
- Beef Stew Meat – or any tough cut of marbled beef will work.
- Butter – for sautéing the onion and beef.
- Chopped Onion – for flavor.
- Salt And Black Pepper – for seasoning.
- Onion Soup Mix – adds savoriness and flavor to the beef while slow cooking.
- Cream Of Mushroom Soup – helps thicken and flavor the sauce while cooking.
- Sliced Mushrooms – adds heartiness to the sauce.
- Worcestershire Sauce – for flavor.
- Cream Cheese – for richness and creaminess and helps thicken the sauce.
- Sour Cream – for richness and creaminess and helps thicken the sauce.
- Egg Noodles – serve the beef stroganoff over cooked egg noodles.
How To Make Beef Stroganoff
Step 1: Brown the beef and onions in butter. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Transfer the browned beef and onions to the slow cooker
Step 3: Top it with the onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup.
Step 4: Add in the sliced mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce.
Step 5: Put the cover on and cook it on low for 5 to 6 hours.
Step 6: Stir in the cream cheese until melted. Then, add the sour cream and stir until blended.
Step 7: Cook the egg noodles and drain.
Step 8: Plate up the egg noodles and ladle the beef stroganoff over the noodles. Garnish with parsley and serve.
What Kind Of Beef Should I Use?
Beef stew meat is the way to go. Tougher cuts, like beef chuck or round that is marbled, are perfect for this recipe. The longer they simmer in the slow cooker the more tender they become.
Do I Have To Brown The Meat?
Yes. I really believe you get the most tender and flavorful meat when you take 3 or 4 minutes to toss the chunks in a frying pan with the chopped onion and let them brown.
Can I Leave The Mushrooms Out?
Of course! If you don’t like them, omit them. You can even swap out the cream of mushroom soup for cream of celery soup.
That said, to make the meal have more volume without the mushrooms, I would add in more beef.
Egg Noodle Variations
If you’re looking for something other than egg noodles to serve this beefy meal on, mashed potatoes are always a delicious way to go.
Rice is another starch that’s easy to make.
And if you’re adventurous, you can always try a different pasta. Fettuccine, linguini, spaghetti, and even penne pasta are all great ideas to change things up!
What Sides To Serve With Beef Stroganoff
And if you’re needing a dessert to finish off this meal, you can’t go wrong with a slice of chocolate cake!
Store leftovers (not including egg noodles) in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
To reheat the leftovers, add them to a saucepan and heat on medium until the desired temperature is reached.
I don’t recommend freezing beef stroganoff due to the cream cheese and sour cream in the sauce. It doesn’t freeze and thaw well, texture-wise.
I always make a fresh batch of egg noodles (or other starch) to serve the leftovers on.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
This easy Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff recipe will give you tender chunks of beef in a savory and creamy sauce that you'll serve over egg noodles for a family favorite meal that's perfect for busy days.
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 to 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 cup chopped onion
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ package (4 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 cups cooked egg noodles
- Gather all of the ingredients.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the beef tips and onion, seasoning with salt and black pepper as desired, and brown on all sides. Transfer the beef to the slow cooker.
- Over the beef and onions, pour the onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup.
- Top the soup with the mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Stir in the cream cheese until melted. Then, add the sour cream and stir until blended.
- Serve the beef and gravy over the cooked egg noodles or mix the noodles in the slow cooker.
- Garnish with parsley and/or black pepper, if desired.
This recipe is adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Philadelphia Cream Cheese Brick (8 oz Boxes, Pack of 2)
Daisy, Regular Sour Cream, 8 oz
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce All Natural Kosher - Pack of 2 Bottles - 20oz Each !
Lipton Recipe Secrets Soup and Dip Mix For a Delicious Meal Onion Great With Your Favorite Recipes, Dip or Soup Mix 2 oz (Pack of 6)
Campbell's Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, 10.5 Ounce Can, 4 Count (Packaging May Vary)
Crock-Pot 6-Quart Programmable Cook & Carry Slow Cooker with Digital Timer,
Slow Cooker Liners
Amount Per Serving Calories 679Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 239mgSodium 942mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 64g