Moist Apple Coffee Cake filled with layers of cinnamon sugar streusel and apples covered with a light glaze. A wonderful option for breakfast, brunch, snack or dessert.It’s apple picking season in Maine and I am creating a dozen different apple recipes that are so delicious! Starting off with my Best Apple Fritter Coffee Cake! This coffee cake is so wonderful with layers of cinnamon sugar apples, delicious coffeecake and a light drizzle. The smells from my oven are intoxicatingly wonderful. Smells like a perfect fall day!Incredibly moist cake full of cinnamon sugar coated chopped apples, covered in a light glaze.Try a slice or two, share with your friends!What you will need to make Best Apple Fritter Coffee Cake:Apples, butter, eggs, brown sugar, white sugar, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, baking powder, powdered sugar, milk (not shown)In a medium sized bowl, cream butter and sugar with a hand mixerslowly add flour mixturemix until creamy and blendedAdd milk. Mix batter until creamy and smooth.Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over chopped apples.Pour 1/2 of the batter into a greased loaf pan. Then pour 1/2 of the apples onto the batter.Sprinkle cinnamon sugar streusel over apples.Add remaining batter, apples and streusel. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the coffee cake.Bake for 1 hourLet cool in pan for 15-20 minutes before flipping out of pan. Using a knife, go around the sides making sure all edges are not sticking to the pan.Spoon glaze over warm Best Apple Fritter Coffee Cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.Follow Moore or Less Cooking: FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOOGLE+ | PINTEREST | BLOGLOVIN | INSTAGRAM
- Coffee cake:
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped (your favorite kind), mixed with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup of powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons of milk or cream- depending on the thickness of glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a 9x5-inch loaf pan and grease with Crisco or spray with non-stick spray or line with foil and spray with non-stick spray to get out easily for slicing.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, beat white sugar and butter together using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until blended in; add in vanilla extract.
- Combine & whisk flour and baking powder together in another bowl and add in creamed butter mixture and stir until blended.
- Mix milk into batter until smooth.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the apple mixture, then half the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Pour the remaining batter over apple layer and top with remaining apple mixture, then the remaining brown sugar cinnamon mixture.
- Swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using knife or spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, approximately 50-60 minutes.
- To make the glaze, mix powdered sugar and milk or cream together until well mixed.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before drizzling with glaze.
Adapted from Lui in Cucina