Rich, creamy, and full of sweet flavor, Baileys Hot Chocolate is an adult warm beverage that’s always a welcome treat. This made-from-scratch hot cocoa recipe is a decadent dessert cocktail that’s perfect for the holidays and beyond.
Whether you’re making this for St. Patrick’s Day, the Christmas holidays, or to warm up on a chilly day, this classic boozy hot chocolate recipe is always a winner!
Go ahead and indulge in this warm and velvety spiked beverage anytime you’re needing a chocolate fix. Full of creamy goodness, this Baileys Hot Chocolate recipe is comfort food in a mug. The liquid chocolate drink includes the smooth boozy flavors of whisky in a milky, sweet, and vanilla base known as Irish Cream.
This lush hot cocoa recipe uses minimal ingredients and can be made in just minutes on your stovetop. Make a mug of Baileys Hot Chocolate and cozy up on your sofa, outside by your firepit, or in bed with your favorite book as you enjoy this delicious beverage.
Cocoa Powder – Use unsweetened cocoa powder.
Milk – I always use whole milk for hot chocolate for a creamer texture and richer flavor.
Sugar – Use white granulated.
Chocolate Chips – I like to use semi-sweet, but if you like a sweeter chip, go for milk chocolate. Use your favorite brand.
Baileys Irish Cream – I love the original, but there are many flavored versions that are also available.
Whipped Cream – I recommend the canned whipped cream that’s easy to squirt on top of your mug of freshly made hot chocolate. So easy!
How To Make Bailey’s Hot Chocolate
Step 1: Add the cocoa powder, milk, sugar, and chocolate chips to a saucepan.
Step 2: Heat over medium heat, being careful not to boil, stirring continuously until the chocolate has melted.
Step 3: Remove from heat and add in the Baileys Irish Cream, stirring to combine.
Step 4: Divide the hot chocolate between two mugs and garnish with whipped cream.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s super easy – no special skills are needed other than turning on a stove burner!
- It’s easily doubled (this recipe as written serves 2) so if you need it to serve 4, just double it.
- It’s easily halved if you need to make a single serving.
- It’s easily customized with different toppings and/or flavored Irish cream.
What Is Baileys Irish Cream?
If you take the richness and creaminess of heavy cream and add whisky, sugar, and subtle flavors of vanilla and chocolate to it, you have the delectable concoction known as Irish Cream. Baileys happens to be the most well-known and best-selling brand of this milky liqueur. As far as alcohol content, it has a low volume of just 17% which makes it perfect for adding to other beverages to turn them into delicious cocktails, like this Baileys Hot Chocolate recipe!
- Milk: If you need a dairy-free version, use coconut milk from a can. It’s thicker and richer than the kind in a carton, which is watered down. You can also use almond milk, although it won’t produce as thick of a beverage.
- Chocolate: Chocolate chips are easy to use, but you can also use a semi-sweet chocolate baking bar, cut in chunks, for an even richer chocolate infusion.
- Irish Cream: I love the original Baileys Irish Cream, but Baileys offers many different flavored varieties, so branch out and try something different such as salted caramel, hazelnut, pumpkin spice, espresso, vanilla cinnamon, chocolate cherry, vanilla mint and more. There’s a flavor for just about any holiday or occasion!
While this recipe calls for canned whipped cream that you can easily squirt right on the top of this boozy hot chocolate, here are some other equally delectable toppings to consider, which are great if you plan on having a hot chocolate bar set up. Let your guests create their own!
- Marshmallows: Small or large, you decide!
- Chocolate Syrup: Drizzle this over the whipped cream or over the marshmallows.
- Sprinkles: Any color, shape, or texture will immediately look irresistible on top of the whipped cream or marshmallows
- Mini Chocolate Chips: Without or with whipped cream, more chocolate chips are always a good choice.
- Chocolate Shavings: You could skip the whipped cream and just go with the chocolate shavings, or add the chocolatey dust on top of the fluffy whipped cream.
Typically, you won’t have hot chocolate leftovers, but if you do, you can refrigerate it without the toppings. To reheat, pour in a saucepan over medium-low heat or microwave in a mug on medium heat, until the desired temperature is achieved. Do not boil for either method.
Nettie is a wife and mother who is passionate about cooking and baking. With 5 children, Nettie insists that all meals, snacks, and desserts come together quickly! You will find a wide variety of easy yet scrumptious recipes on her viral website Moore or Less Cooking
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #mooreorlesscooking so I can see all the wonderful recipes that YOU make from this site!
Rich, creamy, and full of sweet flavor, Baileys Hot Chocolate is an adult warm beverage that's always a welcome treat. This made-from-scratch hot cocoa recipe is a decadent dessert cocktail that's perfect for the holidays and beyond.
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces Baileys Irish Cream
- Whipped cream for topping
- Gather all of the ingredients.
- To a medium saucepan, add milk, sugar, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips.
- Heat over medium heat, until chocolate is melted and the mixture is steamy, but be careful not to boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in Baileys.
- Pour into your favorite mugs, top with whipped cream, and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
365 Everyday Value, Real Dairy Whipped Cream, 7 oz
15oz/450ml Glass Coffee Mugs Clear Coffee Cups with Handles perfect for Latte, Cappuccino, Espresso Coffee, Tea and Hot Beverages, Set of 6
2 Quart Saucepan
Nestle Toll House, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip Morsels, 24 oz
Domino Sugar, Granulated, 4LB Canister
365 Everyday Value, Organic Cocoa Powder, 8 oz
Amount Per Serving Calories 437Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 27mgSodium 110mgCarbohydrates 53gFiber 2gSugar 48gProtein 10g