The first time I had German Chocolate Cake was when I was a teen. I was at my friend’s house, and we decided to bake a cake. One taste of the Pecan Frosting and I was hooked. It was amazing. Moist delicious chocolate cake paired with a nutty coconut frosting.
I wanted to recreate that flavor sensation all over again. This cake brought back so many memories, I was back in time. I love this cake, I made it as my birthday cake this year. Even though I didn’t make the cake from scratch…..I KNOW! It was still wonderful!!
This German chocolate cake is so delicious with it's amazing Coconut Pecan Frosting.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package German Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, water, 3 eggs, oil and 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk. Beat on low speed until moistened, then beat on high speed 2 minutes.
- Pour into well-greased and floured 13 x 9-inch baking pan. ( I used a Wilton Round 12x2" pan)
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- In small saucepan, combine remaining sweetened condensed milk, egg yolk and butter.
- Over medium heat, cook and stir until thickened, about 6 minutes.
- Add pecans, coconut and vanilla; spread over warm cake. Store leftovers covered in refrigerator.