Chocolate and peppermint are a delicious flavor pairing that takes these easy cake mix cookies over the top! These Peppermint Oreo Cookies are filled with Oreo cookie chunks, Andes peppermint crunch pieces, and gooey and melty chocolate chips, making these an irresistible holiday sweet treat.
This Peppermint Oreo cookie recipe is perfect for holiday platters and cookie exchanges. The shortcut of using a boxed cake mix helps them come together quickly. A little chill time in the fridge helps the dough remain fluffy while these cookies bake into minty and chocolate scrumptiousness.
Box Of White Cake Mix – use your favorite brand
Butter – use unsalted and set it out to soften
Egg – use a large egg
Peppermint Extract – to flavor the cookie dough
Vanilla Extract – to flavor the cookie dough
Cream Cheese – use full fat and set it out to soften
Oreo Cookie Chunks – I use the classic Oreo cookies
Andes Peppermint Crunch Pieces – if you can’t find them, just use a chocolate peppermint candy bar that you’ve cut into small pieces
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – to include in the cookie dough
How To Make Peppermint Oreo Cookies
Note: This is a summary of the steps. For complete instructions, see the recipe card down below.
STEP 1: Combine the cake mix, butter, egg, peppermint extract, vanilla extract, and cream cheese, and beat with a hand mixer until a soft dough forms.
STEP 2: Gently fold in the chunks of cookies, chocolate peppermint pieces, and the chocolate chips.
STEP 3: Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour. The longer it can chill. the better.
STEP 4: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out about 1 1/2 tbsp of dough roll it into a ball and place it on the sheet.
STEP 5: Bake for 10-11 minutes. The cookies are going to be soft when you take them out.
STEP 6: Once the cookies are out of the oven, if you have extra chocolate chips and chocolate peppermint pieces, you can gently press extras into the tops of the cookies. Let them cool completely before serving.
- Make sure the butter and cream cheese are softened before you mix the dough. This will keep it from clumping.
- Reserve some extra chocolate chips and peppermint chocolate pieces to top the cookies with. I like to add them right when I pull the cookies out of the oven and very gently press them into the top. The heat from the cookies will help melt them just a little, giving the cookies a pretty look.
What If I Can’t Find The Andes Peppermint Crunch Pieces?
Because the Andes peppermint crunch pieces are a seasonal product, they often sell out quickly. You can always use Andes peppermint crunch thins. Just cut them into small bits before adding them to the dough. You can also use any chocolate peppermint hard candy bar; just cut it into small pieces.
Try this easy variation that flips the flavors around to create a chocolate dough cookie! Follow the recipe as it is written, but swap out the following ingredients:
- Use a chocolate cake mix instead of white
- Use golden Oreos or mint Oreos instead of the classic chocolate Oreos
- Use white chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet chocolate
All of the other ingredients remain the same. You’ll love the taste and different look of these cookies that are just as delicious as the original recipe!
Can I Freeze These Cookies?
To Freeze The Dough: The best way to do this is to scoop out the dough into cookie balls and flash freeze them on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, place the frozen dough balls in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months. To bake from frozen, be sure and add a minute or two to the baking time.
To Freeze The Baked Cookies: Place cooled cookies in a freezer-safe bag and store them in the freezer for up to three months.
Store in an airtight container for 4-5 days on the counter or in the freezer for up to three months.
More Peppermint Sweet Treat Recipes
Nettie is a wife and mother who is passionate about cooking and baking. With 5 children, Nettie insists that all meals, snacks, and desserts come together quickly! You will find a wide variety of easy yet scrumptious recipes on her viral website Moore or Less Cooking
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #mooreorlesscooking so I can see all the wonderful recipes that YOU make from this site!
Chocolate and peppermint are delicious together making these easy cake mix cookies over the top. Filled with Oreo cookie chunks, Andes peppermint crunch pieces, and gooey and melty chocolate chips, making these an irresistible holiday sweet treat.
- 1 (15 ounces) box of white cake mix
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup Oreo Cookie chunks
- 1 cup of Andes peppermint crunch pieces or any chocolate peppermint candy bar
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Gather all of the ingredients.
- Combine the cake mix, butter, egg, peppermint extract, vanilla extract, and cream cheese, and beat with a hand mixer until a soft dough forms.
- Gently fold in the chunks of cookies, chocolate peppermint pieces, and the chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- The longer the better though, the dough shouldn’t stick to your hands when you roll it out.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop about 1 1/2 tbsp of dough roll into a ball and place on the sheet.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes, the cookies are going to be soft when you take them out.
- Once the cookies are out of the oven if you have extra chocolate chips and chocolate peppermint pieces you can press extras into the tops slightly.
- Let them cool completely before serving!
- Store in an airtight container for 4-5 days on the counter.
- Save extra chocolate chips and peppermint chocolate pieces for topping at the end!
- Make sure the cream cheese and butter are softened.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nestle Toll House, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip Morsels, 24 oz
OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, Family Size - 3 Packs
Philadelphia Cream Cheese Brick (8 oz Boxes, Pack of 2)
Rodelle Gourmet Pure Vanilla Extract, 8 Oz
McCormick Pure Peppermint Extract, 1 fl oz
Duncan Hines, Classic White Cake Mix, 16.50oz Box (Pack of 2)
Amount Per Serving Calories 129Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 23mgSodium 66mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 1g