Sweet, salty, and full of irresistible ingredients, leave a plate of these Santa’s Trash Cookies out for Mr. Claus and his helpers to munch on this holiday season. They’re the ultimate festive cookies that are full of crushed pretzels plus an assortment of chocolate chips, candies, and sprinkles!
Don’t let the name of these cookies fool you – they’re outrageously delicious because they contain everything except the kitchen sink! They’re loaded with sweet, salty, crunchy and chocolaty goodness from a wide assortment of add-ins.
They’re especially great to make when you have bags of chocolate chips, pretzels, sprinkles, and candies that have just a little bit left in them. Perfect! Just dump them all in and they’ll be right at home in these Santa’s Trash Cookies.
It’s a cookie recipe that you can easily customize depending on what you have on hand for add-ins. Oh, and don’t wait until Christmas to make them – they’re perfect for any season or holiday!
Sweet Cream Butter – Use unsalted and set it out to soften so that it will cream well when mixed.
Sugars – You’ll need both white and light brown.
Egg – Use a large egg.
Vanilla Extract – For flavor.
Flour – Use all-purpose flour.
Baking Soda – To help the cookies rise.
Salt – For seasoning.
Pretzels – Crushed.
Chocolate Chips – You’ll need an assortment such as semi-sweet, white, and peanut butter chips.
Baking Chips – Red and green.
Christmas Sprinkles – Any variety and/or holiday design.
Peppermint Candy – Crushed.
How To Make Santa’s Trash Cookies:
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
STEP 2: Make the dough by creaming the butter and both sugars in a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer. Add in egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
STEP 3: In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 4: Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture until combined.
STEP 5: Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the crushed pretzels, the assortment of chocolate chips, peppermint candy and sprinkles.
STEP 6: In a separate bowl, combine the sprinkles and mini chocolate chips.
STEP 7: Scoop the dough with a medium cookie scoop into your hand and roll the dough into a ball. Coat the cookie ball in the sprinkles mixture then place the cookie on the cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
STEP 8: Bake at 350 degrees F for 14 minutes until the edges turn golden.
STEP 9: Remove from the oven and let them cool for 3 minutes while still on the cookie sheet before transferring the cookies to a cooling rack.
- Don’t over-mix the add-ins. Gently fold them in with a spatula; definitely not with an electric mixer.
- Save out a little of each of the add-ins so that you can gently press them onto the top of the unbaked cookies on the cookie sheet. That way, you’ll get a pretty visual of the yummy inclusions on the top of the baked cookie!
Do I Need To Chill The Dough?
No, you don’t. However, I try to do it, for at least 20-30 minutes, if I have the time. I find that chilling the dough before scooping and baking helps the cookies maintain their form and keeps them from spreading too much. Totally up to you, but it’s not a requirement for these deliciously packed cookies!
Can I Freeze The Cookie Dough For Later Use?
Yes, you can, but just the dough without any add-ins. Thaw it completely in the refrigerator before you fold in the add-ins.
Here’s where it gets fun. Pretty much anything goes with these cookies, but I do try to go easy on the add-ins so I still have some cookie dough left to bake up around all the yummy stuff!
- Swap out the pretzels for crushed potato chips or chopped peanuts. You’ll still get the crunchy and salty combo.
- Don’t like peppermint? Swap them out and use crushed hard cinnamon candy, or even hard butterscotch candy instead.
- Chocolate Chips – you can stick with one flavor, or go for an assortment. You can swap out the sizes, tool, from mini chips to the extra large chips.
- Other candies – M & M’s, mini marshmallows, chopped peanut butter cups, snickers, or chopped caramels or toffee bits are also great add-ins.
- Sprinkles – if you’re making these for a different holiday or season, just choose the colors that are most appropriate.
Can I Make These Into Cookie Bars?
Absolutely! Just line your baking pan with parchment paper first. Spread the dough, with the add-ins folded in, smoothly in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges turn golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing into bars.
Store these cookies in a sealed container on the countertop. They will keep for 4-5 days.
More Christmas Cookies
Peppermint Stuffed Snowman Cookies
Santa's Trash Cookies
Sweet, salty and full of irresistible ingredients, leave a plate of these Santa's Trash Cookies out for Mr. Claus and his helpers to munch on this holiday season. They're the ultimate festive cookies that are full of crushed pretzels plus an assortment of chocolate chips, candies and sprinkles!
- 1 cup unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups of flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup pretzels (crushed)
- 1 ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- 1 ¼ cup peanut butter chips
- 1 ¼ cup red, green and white baking chips
- 1 ¼ cup Christmas sprinkles
- 1 ¼ cup crushed peppermint candy
- Garnish: pretzels, chocolate chips, and Christmas sprinkles.
- Gather all of the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Cream the butter and both sugars in a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer for about 3-4 minutes (light and fluffy)
- Continue beating when adding the egg and vanilla.
- Beat until combined.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture until combined.
- Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the pretzels, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips,red green and white chips, peppermint candy and sprinkles into the cookie batter.
- In a medium bowl, combine the christmas sprinkles and mini chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough with a medium cookie scoop into your hand and roll dough into a ball.
- Coat the cookie dough in the sprinkles mixture then place cookie onto a baking tray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes. (The cookie edges will start to turn a golden color.)
- Remove from the oven.
- Set aside to cool for 3 minutes while still on the cookie sheet.
- Gently transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wilton Holiday Sprinkles Assortment, 6.8 oz.
Amazon Brand - Happy Belly Pretzel Sticks, 16 oz
365 Everyday Value, All-Purpose Flour, 5 lb
365 Everyday Value, Baking Soda, 16 oz
Rodelle Gourmet Pure Vanilla Extract, 8 Oz
C&H, Cane Sugar, Golden Brown, 2lb Bag (Pack of 2)
Nestle Toll House, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip Morsels, 24 oz
Spangler Mini Candy Canes, Peppermint R&W, 40 ct
Domino Sugar, Granulated, 4LB Canister
Ifuerte 10-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set
Amount Per Serving Calories 483Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 36mgSodium 261mgCarbohydrates 65gFiber 2gSugar 42gProtein 5g