If you’re looking for an outrageously savory meal that takes minimal effort, you’ll want to make this hearty Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers recipe. Italian sausages are slow-cooked in marinara sauce and flavored with onions, peppers, and a host of tasty seasonings. It’s an effortless meal that can be served in a variety of ways.
Tender, juicy, and bursting with flavor is what happens to these Italian sausages when they’re slowly cooked over several hours. The bell peppers release their sweetness and the onions cook to soft perfection while simmering in a flavorful marinara sauce that infuses all the ingredients with succulence. This recipe is always a family favorite and you can even double it to serve a crowd.
Italian Sausages – use uncooked sausage. I like to use sweet Italian sausages.
Bell Peppers – sliced. You can use a variety of colors such as red, yellow, and green or just stick to one.
Onion – sliced. Use sweet, white or yellow, depending on the intensity of flavor that you want.
Seasonings – garlic salt, Italian seasoning, black pepper to help flavor the meal.
Pasta/Marinara Sauce – use your favorite jarred sauce.
Olive Oil – for browning/searing the sausages.
Mozzarella Cheese – sliced. For serving.
Sub, Hoagie or Hot Dog Buns – For serving.
How To Make Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers
STEP 1: Add oil to a skillet and heat on medium-high. Sear the sausages for 2-3 minutes on each side. You’re just looking to brown each side, not cook them.
STEP 2: Place the seared sausages, flat, in the slow cooker and add the peppers and onions on top. Sprinkle on the garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and black pepper.
STEP 3: Pour the marinara sauce all over the top, place the lid on, and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
STEP 4: When done, add the sausages, peppers, and onions to a bun and add one piece of sliced mozzarella cheese on top.
STEP 5: Place on a foiled-lined sheet pan and broil until the cheese is slightly melted.
- When slicing the peppers and onions, don’t slice them too thin or they will disintegrate while cooking. Slice them thick enough to retain their shape when you’re ready to serve.
- If serving in a bun, lightly toast the bun so that when you add the sausages, peppers, onions, and sauce to it it won’t immediately sink into the softness of the bun. Nobody wants a soggy bun!
- While you technically don’t need to sear the sausages before adding them to the slow cooker, go ahead and take 5 minutes to do it anyway. It adds texture to the sausages and they’ll look far more appetizing with the browning on the casing when they’re cooked and ready to serve.
- If you’re doubling this recipe for a crowd or meal planning purposes, make sure your crockpot is large enough to handle all the sausages and other ingredients.
Can I Use A Different Type Of Sausage?
Of course! This recipe is written with an Italian flavor profile in mind, but any type of uncooked sausage will work with this recipe. I typically use a sweet Italian sausage but kielbasa, chicken, turkey or any combination will work.
Can I Add Other Vegetables?
Sure. Sliced mushrooms are awesome with this meal, but slice them thick so they don’t completely fall apart as they cook. You could even add medium-cubed squash, such as zucchini or yellow crookneck. I would add the squash halfway through cooking, though.
How To Serve Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers
While this recipe suggests serving this savory meal in a hoagie bun, it’s equally delicious served over rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes.
Is This Meal Freezer Friendly?
Absolutely! Be sure to completely cool the cooked sausage, peppers, and sauce before adding to freezer-safe ziploc bags or containers. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before reheating on the stovetop or put it back in the slow cooker to reheat on low for 2 hours.
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for up to 2 days. To freeze, cook leftovers and store in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
More Savory Sausage Recipes
Nettie is a wife and mother who is passionate about cooking and baking. With 5 children, Nettie insists that all meals, snacks, and desserts come together quickly! You will find a wide variety of easy yet scrumptious recipes on her viral website Moore or Less Cooking
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #mooreorlesscooking so I can see all the wonderful recipes that YOU make from this site!
Tender, juicy, and bursting with flavor is what happens to these Italian sausages when they're slowly cooked over several hours. The bell peppers release their sweetness and the onions cook to soft perfection while simmering in a flavorful marinara sauce that infuses all the ingredients with succulence. This recipe is always a family favorite and you can even double it to serve a crowd.
- 1 package of Italian sausages (5 sausages)
- 1 red pepper (sliced)
- 1 green pepper (sliced)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 5 slices of sliced mozzarella
- 1 pack of your favorite sub or hot dog buns
- Gather all of the ingredients.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet on medium-high heat, and add the oil. Sear the sausages for 2-3 minutes on each side. ( brown each side, not fully cooked.)
- Lay the sausages in the slow cooker with the peppers and onions on top. Sprinkle the garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and black pepper all over.
- Spread marinara sauce over the top and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or until the peppers are soft and the sausage is cooked.
- Once done add sausage, peppers, and onions to a bun and add one slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Place on a foiled lined sheet pan and broil until the cheese is slightly melted. Do not broil very long.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Tips and Tricks
- Keep in an airtight container for 2 days in the fridge.
- Add red pepper flakes for a spicy kick!
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours if you are in a rush!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Organic Bread of Heaven ~ Hot Dog Buns - 2 pkgs of 8 ~ USDA Organic
365 by Whole Foods Market, Mozzarella Shred Organic, 16 Ounce
Ifuerte 10-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set
Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil, First Cold Pressed, Mild and Delicate Flavor, Perfect for Sauteing and Stir-Frying, Naturally Gluten Free, Non-Allergenic, Non-GMO, 16 FL. OZ., Single Bottle
CONTADINA Canned Tomato Sauce, 12 Pack, 15 oz Can
McCormick Black Peppercorn Grinder, 2.5 oz
McCormick, Gourmet Organic Italian Seasoning, 0.55 Oz
McCormick Garlic Salt, 15.75 oz
Slow Cooker Liners
Amount Per Serving Calories 394Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 60mgSodium 1005mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 3gSugar 8gProtein 21g