Filled with scrumptious chunks of apples and spiced with cinnamon and brown sugar, you’ll be making this easy apple bread recipe on repeat all season long. Bake a loaf of this apple quick bread for breakfast, snack time, or dessert. It’s perfect for the fall season and beyond!
This easy quick bread recipe is full of cozy flavors and ingredients that will have your kitchen smelling like an apple orchard in autumn. Tender bites of fruity apple mingle with a cinnamon-sugar mixture within this loaf of bread that’s topped with a sweet sugar glaze. A warm slice of this apple bread is an irresistible treat that’s best enjoyed with a cup of coffee or a tall glass of milk.
For The Streusel Topping Mixture
Brown Sugar And Ground Cinnamon – will be added to the apple bread batter and baked in.
For The Bread
Flour – use all-purpose flour.
Baking Powder – to help the bread rise.
Salt – for seasoning.
Butter – set it out to soften. I use unsalted butter.
Sugars – you’ll need both brown sugar and white granulated sugar.
Eggs – large size, to help hold the batter together.
Vanilla Extract – for flavor.
Milk – you can use either dairy milk or almond milk.
Apples – peeled and chopped.
For The Glaze
Powdered Sugar – sweetener.
Milk – you can use either dairy milk or almond milk to help thin out or thicken the glaze.
How To Make Apple Bread
Note: This is a summary of the steps. For full instructions, refer to the recipe card down below.
STEP 1: Stir together the brown sugar and cinnamon streusel mixture and set aside.
STEP 2: Peel and chop the apples and set aside.
STEP 3: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
STEP 4: Cream together the wet ingredients of butter and sugars until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time until completely incorporated, then mix in vanilla extract.
STEP 5: Slowly add and incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients before adding the diced apples. Reserve some apples for the top.
STEP 6: Pour half of the batter into a prepared loaf pan. Evenly sprinkle on 3/4 of the brown sugar and cinnamon streusel mixture before adding the remaining batter to the loaf pan.
STEP 7: Top the batter with the reserved apples and cinnamon sugar mixture.
STEP 8: Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
STEP 9: When done, remove from the oven and allow the apple bread to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Once the apple bread has completely cooled, prepare the glaze in a small bowl by whisking together the powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle over the apple bread and allow it to dry.
What Is Quick Bread?
Quick bread refers to bread recipes that do not use yeast in the dough. This means that the bread batter (rather than dough) can be mixed, poured into the pan, and baked immediately without needing to wait for the batter (dough) to rise. Interestingly, the word “quick” does not refer to the length of time it takes the bread to bake! For this recipe, the bread will take almost an hour to bake, but it’s well worth the time in the oven when you taste this amazing treat!
Which Variety Of Apple Is Best To Use?
The best varieties of apples that bake well in bread recipes are Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Gala, Honey Crisp, and Fuji. The flavor of these varieties is tart and bold enough to shine through. Also, the texture of these varieties works well when baked, allowing them to hold their shape and texture.
How Big Or Small Should The Apple Chunks Be?
That is a matter of preference! If you want to see the apple chunks, cut them into ½ inch chunks so they’ll still be visible when you slice into the apple bread. If you dice them smaller, they’ll blend in more with the crumb of the bread as it bakes but will still be delicious!
If you love apple bread, you’ll love using the same recipe but swapping out the apples for pears! The best pear varieties to use for baking are Bosc, Bartlett, or Anjou since the chunks will retain their shape and texture as they bake. You could also use half apple and half pear for a delicious variation.
Apple and raisins go well together, so adding a smattering of raisins to the batter would be tasty. Chopped walnuts or chopped pecans are also a delicious pairing with apples. Again, just a smattering of nuts in the batter will do.
- Nuts – While this recipe calls for a simple confectioner’s sugar and milk glaze, you could add chopped nuts to the top after you glaze it.
- Caramel Sauce – Swap the glaze for a drizzle of prepared caramel sauce on top, or drizzle each slice with warm caramel sauce as you serve it.
This apple bread can be stored in a sealed container on the countertop for up to 5 days or in the refrigerator. You can also freeze the baked, cooled but unglazed apple bread in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Let it thaw at room temperature before adding the glaze.
More Delicious Apple Recipes
Nettie is a wife and mother who is passionate about cooking and baking. With 5 children, Nettie insists that all meals, snacks, and desserts come together quickly! You will find a wide variety of easy yet scrumptious recipes on her viral website Moore or Less Cooking
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #mooreorlesscooking so I can see all the wonderful recipes that YOU make from this site!
This easy quick bread recipe is full of cozy flavors and ingredients that will have your kitchen smelling like an apple orchard in autumn. Tender bites of fruity apple mingle with a cinnamon-sugar mixture within this loaf of bread that's topped with a sweet sugar glaze. A warm slice of this apple bread is an irresistible treat that's best enjoyed with a cup of coffee or a tall glass of milk.
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk or 2% milk
- 2 medium-sized apples, peeled and chopped (½ inch cubes), divided
- Baking spray or oil for pan
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk or almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gather all of the ingredients.
- Spray or grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Prepare topping in a small bowl and set aside. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time until completely incorporated, then mix in the vanilla extract.
- Add half of the flour mixture to wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add remaining flour and mix just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Beat in almond milk until just combined. Fold in apples, reserving ¼ cup for the top.
- Pour half of the batter into a loaf pan. Sprinkle with 3/4 of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Add remaining batter. Top with remaining apples and cinnamon sugar. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the knife comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Remove from oven and cool for at least 10 minutes on cooling rack before removing from pan.
- Once the bread has cooled, prepare the glaze in a small bowl by whisking powdered sugar and milk.
- Drizzle over bread and allow to dry.
A moist, medium-sweet, bread with a cake-like texture, filled with apples and cinnamon, drizzled with glaze.
Servings: 1 (9x5) loaf
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 55-65 minutes
Total time: 57-67 minutes
*Honeycrisp, fuji, granny smith, and gala are all good choices of apples for this recipe.
Chopping in ½ inch chunks will allow there to be chunks of apples throughout the bread. If you cut them too small the apples will bake right in, which is also yummy.
*Ovens vary, so check before the done time. My bread was baked in 52 minutes.
*Store covered at room temperature for up to 5 days. Slice as you eat. To freeze, wait to glaze and freeze in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Once defrosted you can glaze.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 260Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 53mgSodium 197mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 1gSugar 25gProtein 4g