Coffee Crumb Cake Muffins
Author: Moore or Less Cooking
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 12 muffins
These are the best muffins ever! Delicious streusel and the perfect way to start your morning or afternoon!
- 10 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean ( I used a vanilla bean, cut the bean in half, scrape seeds with a sharp knife or use your thumb nail like I did)
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the Topping
- 3 Tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3½ tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Put a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Keep an eye on the butter.
- Melt and cook down the butter until little brown bits appear in the pan.
- The crackling will subside and butter will begin to brown fairly quickly after that.
- Keep a close eye. I burned my first batch.
- Remove from heat.
- If using vanilla bean, split the vanilla bean down the center, scrape the seeds out, and in a small bowl, rub the vanilla beans into the granulated sugar.
- I used my fingers.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add the brown butter and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl
- Add milk and butter mixture all at once, and stir gently to combine.
- To make the topping combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until crumbly.
- Sprinkle evenly over the batter in the cups.
- Bake until golden and crisp and a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes.
- Keep an eye on them… they dry out quickly.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes then remove from the pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.