A sweet, creamy vanilla custard filling that’s dotted with festive sprinkles makes this Christmas Sugar Cream Pie an irresistible holiday dessert. And best of all, you can make it with simple pantry ingredients!
This fantastic pie is a holiday version of the popular old-fashioned custard pie that’s egg-free and uses sugar, cream, cornstarch, vanilla, and cinnamon to create the scrumptious filling. Here, I add jimmy sprinkles to the crust and filling for a little something extra to celebrate the season!
Speaking of the crust, you’ll want to make this homemade version that’s as easy as pie (sorry!). There’s no flouring of a surface or rolling of the crust. It’s just a crumbly mixture, with sprinkles added, that you’ll press into the pie plate. Of course, you can always use a pre-made pie crust, but this one keeps the holiday theme going with the jimmy sprinkles.
It’s an easy pie recipe that’s perfect for Christmas and beyond. And, If you love creamy and custard-style pies, be sure to check out my easy Coconut Cream Tart Pie and my No Bake Chocolate Pie, too!
For The Crust:
- Flour – use all-purpose flour
- Salt – for flavor
- Sugar – keeps it sweet
- Baking Powder – to help it rise
- Butter – melted, to keep it soft and flaky
- Water – to help mix the crust
- Holiday Jimmy Sprinkles – to keep it festive, decoration
For The Filling:
- Sugar – helps form and sweeten the custard filling
- Cornstarch – helps to thicken the filling
- Ground Cinnamon – for spice flavor
- Milk – use whole milk so that the fat in it will help form and thicken the filling
- Butter – helps to flavor and form the custard filling with its fat content.
- Vanilla Extract – makes it taste richer, for flavor
- Whipped Cream – for the topping (optional)
How To Make Christmas Sugar Cream Pie
For The Crust
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder using a wooden spoon.
- Add in the melted butter and water; stir until combined.
- Stir in the holiday jimmies sprinkles. The mixture will be crumbly.
- Pat the dough across the bottom of the pie pan and up the sides before baking in a 425 degrees F oven for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden.
For The Custard Filling
- Whisk together sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Continue boiling for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla extract. Set aside and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Once the filling has slightly cooled, add in the holiday jimmy sprinkles. Stir to incorporate.
- Pour the filling into the crust and garnish with additional jimmy sprinkles on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a 375-degree F oven.
- Remove from the oven and let the pie cool before refrigerating it for at least 2 hours to allow the custard to be fully set.
Can I Use A Pre-made Pie Crust?
Absolutely! I recommend a deep-dish crust to ensure your filling doesn’t overflow or that you have extra left over. Also, be sure and prick the pre-made pie crust with a fork before you blind-bake it to make sure it stays free of bubbles when it bakes.
If you want to play with flavors, try using a graham cracker crust or even an oreo or golden oreo crust. Delish!
What Type Of Milk Is Recommended?
For this recipe, I use whole milk. You need the fat in the milk to help the custard achieve thickness, along with the cornstarch, of course. Anything less than full-fat milk will result in a thin and possibly runny custard.
Another option is to use half and half (half cream, half whole milk) rather than whole milk. You’ll definitely get a creamy and thick custard!
You can also substitute whole milk for heavy cream. Yes, all 2 cups of it! If you’re looking for an ultra-rich and thick custard, this is the way to go!
What Kind Of Sprinkles Should I Use?
Because you’re using sprinkles in something that you’re going to bake, rather than just garnishing on the top of a dessert, I recommend using jimmys. Jimmys are rod-like sprinkles that perform better in baked goods because they typically don’t run and bleed their colors throughout the product. You’ll also want to avoid nonpareils which are not recommended for baking because their colors will definitely run when baked.
Can I Make This Pie Without The Sprinkles?
Of course! Just leave them out of the crust and the filling and make, bake and chill as directed. If you’re wanting to expand on the cinnamon and sugar flavors without the sprinkles, consider sprinkling the top with ground cinnamon or a little more sugar. You can even place the baked pie under the broiler for a few minutes to caramelize the sugar topping.
This baked and chilled pie will keep, covered, in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Is This Pie Freezer-Friendly?
I don’t recommend freezing this pie because the texture will be affected when thawed, both with the custard filling and the pie crust. Keep in mind though, that you can certainly make this pie up to 5 days in advance and it will keep well in the fridge.
More Easy Christmas Desserts
Christmas Caramel Marshmallow Rice Krispies Balls
Christmas Sugar Cream Pie
This fantastic pie is a holiday version of the popular old-fashioned custard pie that's egg-free and uses sugar, cream, cornstarch, vanilla, and cinnamon to create the scrumptious filling. Here, I add jimmy sprinkles to the crust and filling for a little something extra to celebrate the season!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons holiday jimmie sprinkles
- Pie filling:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream for topping, optional
- Gather all ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl using a wooden spoon mix together the flour, salt, 1 ½ teaspoon sugar, and baking powder.
- Stir in the ⅔ cup melted butter and water.
- Stir together until everything is combined.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of holiday jimmies sprinkles.
- It will still be crumbly.
- Pat the dough across the bottom of the pie pan and up the sides.
- Bake the crust for 10-12 minutes until the crust turns just lightly golden.
- When you remove the crust from the oven lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, make the filling.
- In a saucepan add 1 cup of sugar, cinnamon, and ¼ cup of cornstarch.
- Turn the heat to medium and whisk in the milk.
- Continue whisking and stirring until the mixture comes up to a boil.
- Let the mixture boil for 2 minutes while still stirring.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in your vanilla and cubed butter.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Once the filling has slightly cooled add 1 ½ tablespoons of holiday Jimmie sprinkles. Just stir once to incorporate these as you don’t want them to melt or the colors to bleed.
- Pour the filling into the crust and sprinkle the remaining sprinkles on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Once the pie is cool place it in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
Tips and Tricks
This Christmas Sugar Cream Pie is my favorite for the holidays. This is a delicious creamy pie studded with holiday sprinkles for a festive touch. The filling is silky and rich perfect for the holidays. The crust is a no-roll crust which makes it fabulous to throw together for the busy holiday season.
- You can use a premade crust if you like.
- You can also use an oreo or golden oreo crust or even a graham cracker crust.
- While you can use any holiday sprinkles I find that the holiday jimmie-type sprinkles tend to run less.
- Store this pie in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
3 Quart Sauce Pan
Long Handle Wooden Cooking Mixing Oval Spoon
Ifuerte 10-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set
365 Everyday Value, Organic Vanilla Extract, 2 fl oz
McCormick Ground Cinnamon, 2.37 oz
Anchor Hocking 77922 Fire-King Pie Plate, Glass, 9-Inch
365 Everyday Value, Unsalted Butter, 16 oz
365 Everyday Value, Baking Powder, 10 oz
Domino Sugar, Granulated, 4LB Canister
365 Everyday Value, All-Purpose Flour, 5 lb
Wilton Holiday Sprinkles Assortment, 6.8 oz.
Amount Per Serving Calories 618Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 77mgSodium 571mgCarbohydrates 77gFiber 2gSugar 34gProtein 7g