Filled with rich chocolate layers, marshmallows, and toasted pecans. Mississippi Mud Brownies are a chocolate lover’s heaven!
More filling than your average brownie and perfect for when you don’t want to make a cake, these brownies are just right for any occasion. They are so simple to make. Don’t be surprised when they disappear quickly from your kitchen counter – they’re irresistible!
Tips to make the best Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Don’t over mix the brownie batter. You want to mix it just until the ingredients are combined. Over mixing will result in a tough brownie and you don’t want that! You want a soft and chewy brownie.
- Undercook the brownies just a bit. If you wait until the top is golden brown, you’ve gone too far. Remember, the brownie will continue to cook in the pan once you’ve removed it from the oven to cool. So, go ahead and take it out a little bit before you think you should!
- Let the brownies cool completely in the pan before cutting.
- Don’t skimp on the toppings. Admittedly, the toppings are what make these brownies bars a dessert item and not just big brownies. We’re going for a thick covering of fudge, marshmallows, and nuts on top, not a thin, barely-there top. Pile it on. You’ll be glad you did!
To start off the first day of Choctoberfest, I thought Mississippi Mud Brownies would be the best way to get our chocolate groove on! This recipe comes from my blogger friend, Melissa, from Melissa’s Southern Kitchen’s newest cookbook. I won the cookbook and was so excited to make these decadent, out-of-this-world brownies!!
Just look at that ooey-gooey fudgy marshmallow brownie covered in toasted nuts!
Are these freezable?
The brownies by themselves are freezable before adding toppings. Just make, bake, and cool completely before wrapping tightly in plastic wrap and then tin foil. It will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before adding the toppings.
How to store these Mississippi Mud Brownies
Store these bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Better than the traditional brownies, these Mississippi Mud Brownies are the ultimate way to enjoy that chocolate nut marshmallow brownie. Don’t wait for a special occasion to make these. They’re a wonderful and easy way to share a sweet sugary treat with family and friends.
There was silence when everyone was enjoying these brownies, they were enjoying them too much!
What you will need to make these brownies:
- Imperial Sugar,
- Divine 70 % Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar,
Toast chopped walnuts and pecans
Chop up chocolate
Sift dry ingredients
Melt butter and chocolate, add espresso powder and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients.
Pour batter into baking pan. Bake for 28-30 minutes.
Melt cream and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, until smooth and creamy.
Pour marshmallows over hot brownies, spread. pour 1/2 chopped nuts over melted marshmallows.
Nettie is a wife and mother who is passionate about cooking and baking. With 5 children, Nettie insists that all meals, snacks, and desserts come together quickly! You will find a wide variety of easy yet scrumptious recipes on her very popular website Moore or Less Cooking
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #mooreorlesscooking so I can see all the wonderful recipes that YOU make from this site!
Decadent Fudgy Brownies topped with ooey-gooey marshmallows, toasted nuts and a fudgy chocolate ganache sauce.
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup flour
- 1 3/4 Imperial granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks salted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened Divine Chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 1-10 ounce bag mimi marshmallows
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with Pam baking spray.
- Set aside.
- Spread chopped nuts on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Place in oven for 6-8 minutes. let cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, sift flour, sugars and salt.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter in 20 second increments.Stir after each time.
- Add espresso powder and vanilla to chocolate mixture.
- Beat chocolate mixture with dry ingredients with a handheld mixer, add eggs, beat for one minute. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, or when a toothpick is inserted in the middle shows moist crumbs. Do not over bake.
- Remove from the oven, pour marshmallows on top and spread.
- sprinkle half of the nuts over the marshmallows.
- in a microwaveable safe bowl combine chocolate chips and cream, melt in 20 seconds increments, until smooth.
- Drizzle over top of brownies.
- Let cool to room temperature. Cut and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 250Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 53mgSodium 118mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 1gSugar 15gProtein 3g