Savory and full of outrageous flavor, Slow Cooker Sausage Tortellini Soup is the pasta dinner you want to make when you’re looking for a filling and satisfying meal. This tortellini and sausage soup is cooked slowly in a creamy tomato and chicken broth base that’s full of veggies like carrots, onion, celery, garlic, and more. With minimal prep, you’ll let your slow cooker do all the work for this delicious soup that’s always a family favorite.
I love that this Slow Cooker Sausage Tortellini Soup is perfect for assembling early in the morning for a long day of cooking. It will hold up well for the 7-8 hour cooking time, but it’s equally delicious if you need a shorter time frame of 3-4 hours.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s the perfect set-it-and-forget-it soup that’s a one-pot meal.
- Uses common ingredients with minimal prep work.
- Leftovers keep in the fridge for a few days and taste even better the second time around!
- It’s also perfect for making ahead and freezing for advanced meal planning.
Italian Sausage – I use sweet Italian sausage, but use whatever level of spiciness you’re comfortable with.
Vegetables – Chopped onion, sliced carrots, chopped celery, minced garlic.
Tomatoes – Can of crushed tomatoes and can of diced tomatoes with juice, used to make up the soup base and add flavor.
Chicken Broth – To make up the soup base and add flavor.
Cheese Tortellini – Or any flavor you like.
Heavy Whipping Cream – To help make the soup creamy
Baby Spinach – To add texture and vegetables.
Seasoning – Salt and pepper.
How To Make Slow Cooker Sausage Tortellini Soup
This is a summary of the steps. For complete instructions, see the recipe card down below.
STEP 1: Add the sausage and onions to a medium-sized pan and cook until the sausage and onions are fully cooked. Add in the garlic towards the end to keep it from burning.
STEP 2: Add the sausage mixture to the 8-quart slow cooker along with the chopped carrots and celery. Add in both cans of tomatoes and the chicken broth.
STEP 3: Put the lid on and cook for 4 hours and 30 minutes.
STEP 4: Thirty minutes before done, add in the cheese tortellini, heavy whipping cream, spinach, salt, and pepper and stir.
- If cooking the soup for 3-4 hours, be sure and fine-chop carrots so that they’ll be thin enough to cook through and be tender.
- If cooking on low for 7-8 hours, turn it to high when you add the tortellini to ensure it’s cooked through for the final 30 minutes.
Can I Put Raw Sausage In The Slow Cooker?
For this recipe, I recommend that you take just a few minutes to brown the sausage, onions, and garlic before adding them to the slow cooker. This will cut down on the fat that the sausage renders while cooking low and slow and add so much flavor!
- Meat – Use any spice and sausage meat that you like. You can also swap out the sausage for cooked, shredded chicken.
- Tortellini – This recipe calls for cheese tortellini, but feel free to use whatever flavors you want – it’s all delicious!
- Spinach – A delicious swap for spinach is kale.
- Heavy Cream – You can use cubed cream cheese instead of heavy cream.
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Sausage Tortellini Soup
This soup is a complete one-pot meal, but my family loves it with bread. We’ve enjoyed it with my Cheesy Garlic Bread and also with my Slow Cooker Focaccia recipe. If you love cornbread, try my Easy Homemade Cornbread or my delicious Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread.
Is This Soup Freezer-Friendly?
If you plan to make this soup for future meals and store it in the freezer, I would make it up to the point of adding the tortellini and spinach. Leave those out and add them once you’re ready to serve it. You can reheat the thawed soup on the stovetop or in the slow cooker and add the tortellini and spinach to it and heat until tender, about 30 minutes on medium heat for the stove and high if in the slow cooker.
Cooled leftovers will be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, and stored in an airtight container. You can easily reheat this on the stovetop. If the sauce is too thick, just add a splash of chicken broth or water to it to thin it out as it heats.
More Easy Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
Nettie is a wife and mother who is passionate about cooking and baking. With 5 children, Nettie insists that all meals, snacks, and desserts come together quickly! You will find a wide variety of easy yet scrumptious recipes on her viral website Moore or Less Cooking
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #mooreorlesscooking so I can see all the wonderful recipes that YOU make from this site!
Savory and full of outrageous flavor, Slow Cooker Sausage Tortellini Soup is the pasta dinner you want to make when you're looking for a filling and satisfying meal. This tortellini and sausage soup is cooked slowly in a creamy tomato and chicken broth base that's full of veggies like carrots, onion, celery, garlic and more. With minimal prep, you'll let your slow cooker do all the work for this delicious soup that's always a family favorite.
- 16 ounces Italian sausage
- 1/2 of an onion (chopped)
- 2 carrots (sliced)
- 2 celery sticks (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 28 ounces can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 ounces can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 9 ounces packages of cheese tortellini
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
1. Gather all of the ingredients.
2. Add the sausage and onions to a medium sized pan, cook the sausage and onions until the sausage is fully cooked.
3. Add in the garlic towards the end. (so it doesn’t burn) Add the sausage mixture to the 8 quart slow cooker.
4. Add your chopped carrots and celery to the slow cooker. Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes with juice and chicken broth. Close the lid and cook for 4 hours and 30 minutes.
5. 30 minutes before done add in the cheese tortellini, heavy whipping cream, spinach, salt and pepper and stir. Once done, serve and enjoy! Top with more pepper and parmesan. (Optional)
Tips and tricks!
- Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the fridge.
- If you want this to cook in 3-4 hours chop the carrots very finely.
- If cooking on low, when you add the tortellini turn it to high.
- Want it to cook all day? Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- A grilled cheese or garlic bread would go great with this.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
DOWAN Soup Bowls - 22 Oz Porcelain Large Soup Bowl, Cereal Bowl, Dishwasher and Microwave Safe Bowl Set of 4, Multifunction Colorful Kitchen Bowls for Soup, Cereal, Salad, Pasta, Cool Assorted Color
Ifuerte 10-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set
Soup Ladle Spoon - Soup Ladles Stainless Steel Ladle - Gravy Ladle Large Soup Ladle Stainless Steel Soup Ladle for Soup Extra Large Ladle Soup Serving Spoon Deep Ladle Bpa-Free Soup Ladle Large
Organic Garlic, One Medium
Hunt's Crushed Tomatoes, Keto Friendly, 28 oz
Land O Lakes Heavy Whipping Cream, 1 Pint
Amazon Brand - Happy Belly Chicken Broth, 32 Ounce
Del Monte Canned Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes, 14.5 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Slow Cooker Liners
Crock-Pot 6-Quart Programmable Cook & Carry Slow Cooker with Digital Timer,