Tender and outrageously flavorful, these Slow Cooker Firecracker Chicken Meatballs are cooked to succulent deliciousness in just a few hours. They’re an easy and versatile recipe for a main meal or to serve as an appetizer.
The ground chicken meatball mixture is seasoned with simple pantry ingredients before being formed into meatballs and lightly browned under a broiler. Add them to your slow cooker and pour over an Asian-inspired homemade sweet and spicy sauce before slow-cooking them to savory perfection.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Uses basic pantry ingredients
- There’s minimal prep work
- Perfect for meal planning and freezing
- Easily doubled for large crowds
For The Meatballs
Ground Chicken – this white meat pairs perfectly with the firecracker sauce. Can also swap it out for ground turkey.
Panko Breadcrumbs – to help bind the meatball mixture.
Eggs – to add structure to hold the meatball mixture together.
Onion – chopped. to add aromatics and flavor to the meatballs.
Garlic – minced. Add a spicy heat and flavor.
Scallions – to help flavor the meatballs.
Salt and Pepper – seasoning.
For The Sauce:
Buffalo Sauce – use your favorite hot sauce or sriracha sauce.
Brown Sugar – balances the spiciness of the sauce.
Soy Sauce – gives the sauce an Asian-inspired savory and salty flavor.
Water – helps to liquefy the sauce.
How To Make Slow Cooker Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
Note: This is a summary of the steps. For complete instructions, see the recipe card down below.
STEP 1: In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, eggs, onion, garlic, half of the scallions, and salt and pepper. Do not over-mix.
STEP 2: Form the chicken mixture into meatballs and place on a prepared baking sheet.
STEP 3: Brown the meatballs under the broiler, flipping halfway through. The meatballs do not need to be cooked through: the slow cooker will finish cooking them.
STEP 4: Place the meatballs in your slow cooker and add all the sauce ingredients as well as the rest of the scallions.
STEP 5: Cook on low for 2 hours or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Don’t over-mix the chicken mixture – just stir enough to combine.
- Use panko bread crumbs rather than homemade. You need the smaller crumbs and texture of the panko to keep the meatballs solid and so that they hold together.
- Roll the meatballs into the same size so they cook evenly. Use a cookie scoop to ensure they’re the same size.
Can I Brown The Chicken Meatballs In A Skillet?
Yes. If you’d rather use the skillet stovetop method instead of browning the meatballs on a baking sheet under the broiler, you can do that. Remember you just need to sear all sides enough to let the meatballs hold together before adding them to the slow cooker to finish cooking all the way through.
Meat: You can easily swap out the ground chicken for ground turkey.
Sauce: For a spicier sauce, add red pepper flakes to the sauce. For a sweeter sauce, add more brown sugar. If you’re not a fan of hot and spicy sauces, you can always use your favorite BBQ sauce.
Are These Meatballs Freezer Friendly?
Yes, Once completely cooked, cool them completely before adding them to a freezer-safe ziplock bag or container. They will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
How To Reheat
These meatballs can be reheated in the microwave, in a skillet on the stovetop, or the oven in a baking dish. You could even put them back in the slow cooker with the sauce to keep them warm if serving for a party.
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
If serving for a main meal, these Slow Cooker Firecracker Chicken Meatballs are perfect served over rice or my Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes. They’re also great served over pasta. You can also make a handheld meal with them when you stuff them in a sub roll with extra sauce, of course! They’re also delicious in a lettuce wrap.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To freeze, cool and add to an airtight container or ziplock bag. They will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
More Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken and Vegetables
Slow Cooker White Bean and Chicken Enchilada Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Slow Cooker Ranch Crack Chicken
Slow Cooker Chicken Sausage And Lentil Soup
Nettie is a wife and mother who is passionate about cooking and baking. With 5 children, Nettie insists that all meals, snacks, and desserts come together quickly! You will find a wide variety of easy yet scrumptious recipes on her viral website Moore or Less Cooking
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #mooreorlesscooking so I can see all the wonderful recipes that YOU make from this site!
Cooking for just a short few hours to make the best meatballs ever! Perfect as an appetizer or goes great with white rice for a delicious dinner!
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 Tablespoons scallions- chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
1. Gather all of the ingredients.
2. In a large bowl combine the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, eggs, onion, garlic, and 2 tbsp scallions and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Form into meatballs, should make around 2 dozen.
3. Place the meatballs on a large baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
4. Brown the meatballs under the broiler, flipping halfway through.
5. Add the meatballs to an 8-quart slow cooker and add the buffalo sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce, water, and the remaining scallions. Cook on low for 2 hours or until the meatballs are cooked through.
4. Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
● Store in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
● Don’t want it as spicy? Add an extra cup of brown sugar to cut back the spice.
● Delicious on a bed of rice.
● Top with extra scallions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ifuerte 10-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set
Kikkoman Soy Sauce - 10 oz
C&H, Cane Sugar, Golden Brown, 2lb Bag (Pack of 2)
365 by Whole Foods Market, Bread Crumbs, Panko, 8 Ounce
Stonewall Kitchen Buffalo Wing Sauce, 11 oz.
Crock-Pot SCV700SS Stainless Steel 7-Quart Oval Manual Slow Cooker, 7 Quart
Slow Cooker Liners
Amount Per Serving Calories 660Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 224mgSodium 1197mgCarbohydrates 82gFiber 2gSugar 62gProtein 42g