Outrageously flavorful, this mouth-watering Slow Cooker Easy Meatloaf recipe will become your new favorite comfort food meal. Cooking it low and slow keeps it tender while it’s infused with savory seasonings from the scrumptious homemade sauce and glaze.
There’s nothing better than a meatloaf dinner when you’re craving a comfort food meal. My slow cooker method will have your family waiting impatiently as they smell the aromas from this meaty and saucy dinner simmering away in your crockpot. While it’s cooking, be sure and prepare your family’s favorite side dishes!
Oh, and there’s a secret ingredient (sort of) that takes this meatloaf from great to outstanding, and it’s so simple! Hint: if you think a boxed stuffing mix is just for Thanksgiving, think again!
Ground Beef – I use an 80/20 mix. The fat in the mix helps keep the meatloaf moist and tender as it cooks.
Onion – Chopped white onion will help flavor the meat.
Stuffing – You’ll need 2 boxes, any flavor. This takes the place of breadcrumbs.
Milk – Helps keep the meat mixture moist and is absorbed by the stuffing mix.
Seasonings – Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning, ground black pepper, mustard.
Eggs – Helps bind the meaty mixture.
Glaze – Ketchup, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, mustard.
Parsley – Optional, for garnish
How To Make Slow-Cooker Meatloaf
STEP 1: In a mixing bowl. stir together the ground beef, onion, stuffing, milk, Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning, pepper, 1 tablespoon of mustard, and the 2 eggs.
STEP 2: Line the slow cooker with heavy-duty foil. Place the meat mixture in and form it into a loaf.
STEP 3: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the ketchup, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, and remaining mustard.
STEP 4: Pour half of the BBQ glaze mixture over the top of the meatloaf.
STEP 5: Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 – 4 hours.
STEP 6: Before serving, pour the rest of the glaze over the meatloaf.
STEP 7: Using the foil, transfer the meatloaf to a baking sheet and place it under your oven’s broiler for a few minutes to help it form a glaze on top.
STEP 8: Garnish with parsley before serving.
- Don’t use super lean ground beef. There needs to be enough fat in it for the meatloaf to be tender and juicy. I use an 80/20 mix.
- Mix the meatloaf with a large spoon. Never beat it with a mixer. You want to stir it together just until the ingredients are incorporated without over-mixing it.
- You can use any type of stuffing mix, including gluten-free if need be.
- You can use any flavor of BBQ sauce.
- Broiling the top of the meatloaf is optional before you serve it, although it does give it a pretty glazed look. Totally up to you!
You can substitute ground turkey for ground beef. You can also use a combination of ground meats such as ground pork and ground beef.
Do I Have To Line The Slow Cooker?
Technically, you don’t have to, but I do it for three reasons:
- It makes it so much easier to remove the meatloaf and any residual sauce by lifting it out by the ends of the foil. Note: I use heavy-duty foil and double it so that there’s hardly any chance of it ripping as I lift it out of the slow cooker.
- If I’m transferring the meatloaf to a baking sheet for a short session under the broiler, the foil is a must. Make sure you let the foil overhang on the sides of the slow cooker. The lid should still fit snugly on top.
- It makes cleaning the slow cooker a breeze. Unless something leaked or spilled, I only have to wipe the inner pot out with a damp paper towel and dry it before putting it away.
How Do I Know When The Meatloaf Is Done?
The best way to tell if the meat has been cooked through is to use a digital thermometer to check its internal temperature, which should read at least 160 degrees F.
Can I Make This Meatloaf In The Oven?
Sure! Follow the recipe as written, and instead of adding it to your slow cooker, line a baking pan with foil and place the meatloaf on it, top with half the glaze and bake at 350 degrees F for at least 1 hour. Check on it and if needed, leave it until the internal temperature reaches 160°F. You can easily check with a digital thermometer. Don’t forget to add the remainder of the glaze and broil the top for a few minutes to achieve a glossy top before serving!
What To Serve With Meatloaf
Here are a few classic side dishes that always pair perfectly with meatloaf.
Green veggies are perfect for meatloaf, like my green bean casserole or my air fryer roasted Brussels sprouts. I also love serving this simple asparagus side dish. If you love cold salads, try my Broccoli Salad that’s savory and crunchy.
I also love to add my buttermilk biscuits. So good!
Leftover meatloaf can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or a 350-degree F oven on a lined baking sheet and covered with foil, until heated through. You can also freeze leftovers, wrapped tightly in foil, for up to 3 months. Thaw completely in the refrigerator before reheating.
Nettie is a wife and mother who is passionate about cooking and baking. With 5 children, Nettie insists that all meals, snacks, and desserts come together quickly! You will find a wide variety of easy yet scrumptious recipes on her viral website Moore or Less Cooking
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #mooreorlesscooking so I can see all the wonderful recipes that YOU make from this site!
We love meatloaf and this Slow Cooker Easy Meatloaf is my new favorite way to cook it. This meatloaf comes out perfectly every time. Ground beef, onions, and the secret ingredient: stuffing mix- make this a moist flavorful meatloaf. A glaze of ketchup, brown sugar, and bbq sauce send this over the top. Dinner perfection!
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (6-ounce boxes) stuffing, any flavor
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ tablespoon steak seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons mustard, divided
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup bbq sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Parsley for garnish
- Gather all of the ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the ground beef, onion, stuffing, milk, Worcestershire Sauce, steak seasoning, pepper, 1 tablespoon of mustard, and the 2 eggs.
- Stir until well combined.
- Line your slow cooker with heavy-duty foil and place the meat mixture into the slow cooker and form into a loaf.
- In a bowl combine the ketchup, bbq sauce, brown sugar, and remaining mustard.
- Pour half this mixture over the top of the meatloaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Right before serving pour the rest of the glaze over the meatloaf. Using the foil transfer the meatloaf to a baking sheet and pop it under the broiler for a few minutes to get it glazy.
- Garnish with parsley if desired and serve!
Tips and Tricks:
- Use any flavor stuffing that you like.
- Use any flavor of bbq sauce that you like.
- Add any seasoning that you like.
- Broiling the top is optional, it just makes the topping glazy.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ifuerte 10-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set
C&H, Cane Sugar, Golden Brown, 2lb Bag (Pack of 2)
Kraft Sweet Honey Barbecue Sauce, 28 oz
365 Everyday Value, Organic Tomato Ketchup, 24 oz
Colman's Dry Mustard, 2 oz
McCormick Black Peppercorn Grinder, 2.5 oz
Kinder's Organic Buttery Steakhouse Rub, Premium Quality Seasoning, MSG Free and USDA Certified Organic, 3oz
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce All Natural Kosher - Pack of 2 Bottles - 20oz Each !
Crock-Pot SCV700SS Stainless Steel 7-Quart Oval Manual Slow Cooker, 7 Quart
Slow Cooker Liners
Amount Per Serving Calories 420Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 150mgSodium 595mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 34g